thinking about swapping my starlet for an rx7

has anyone on here had an rx7 and if so what are they like and what should i look out for because ive got someone who wants to swap one for the starlet. its single turbo converted and running 430 bhp at 1.3 bar. really dont know what to do

Reeco

Member +
has anyone on here had an rx7 and if so what are they like and what should i look out for because ive got someone who wants to swap one for the starlet. its single turbo converted and running 430 bhp at 1.3 bar. really dont know what to do

have never had one mate, but alot guys have them in my local club ( one being the mag featured blue greddy/ hayward replica one) i love them and intend on owning one eventualy, there ace fun and you can get them drifting realy well, its just the expenses of maintaining a rotary engine that puts me off them. i dont know the spec of your starlet but sounds like a pretty good deal to me, how much £ does he want with your starlet?

Lawrence

Member +
i would say be careful swaping iv had friends get stung like that before, seems to me most of the time people who want to swap is cause somthing wrong with there car unless you know the person of cause.

turboloon

Member +
they need a engine rebuild after 60 k miles,(due to the rotor tips wearing i belive)and you'd need to get a decent history with it ...single turbos are the one's to have like,i must admit i do love the rx7's but the running costs and the fact it's a rotory kinda put me off them...rotorys are not a common engine (unless you have a airplane..lol.)also as lawernce said...as when you look at the price of single turbo rx7's they go for big money..

i have heard that they need alot of looking after and when they go wrong the really do go wrong. were still disgussing at the minute how much cash ill be putting on top but the spec list is big and its immaculate. reeco i think that could be the blue hayward which is for sale on ebay at the minute

richglanzav

Member +
be wary mate..i personally would never swap my pride and joy modified car - a car ive spent a lot of blood sweat and tears on, for another car that could have been bodged to high heaven. Of course it could well be a minter, im just saying be very careful.

as for the rx7 assuming it is mint, they are ace cars i mean just look at them for a start, but just make sure your wallet can cope with one. even if you never suffer the dreaded rebuild time, the fuel consumption will scare you lol especially if u kane it which id imagine is hard to resist with a 430bhp rotary engine.

good luck whatever you decide

mr2 rev3

Member +
I take it your on about the fd rx7? ive had two rx7's but ive had the fc shape, one coupe one coverts, both fantastic cars, when i had finished with the coupe she was running a good 320bhp for a good while but it ended in tears :( full rebuild later and 2k later i got it back and moved it on...it now spends is life as a full time drifter, :)

As for them needing a rebuild every 60 thou is pick and mix, its all down to how you look after them, and how they have been looked after, ive seen many a rex with 10000+ on the orignal engine and still going strong, still starts when cold aswell as warm.

But at the end of the day there is a lot less to go wrong in the rotary engine but like you say when it go's wrong, it go's wrong....

HKS111

Member +
If u could post the spec list and pics, will be able to tell u more.

Things to look for:

car history very important - rebuilt engine or not and also rebuilt by whom?

Compression test - should be above 8 bar depending on porting (street, half-bridge, full-bridge).

Phil

Super Moderator
Rickw made the same move, - from a glanza running about 220-240hp to a rx7.

maybe pm him see how he thinks the move went.

Phil

triple j

Member +
dont go near the rx7 keep your starlet, not unless u have plenty of money to keep rebuilding that 430bhp engine, a mate has one sitting up about 2 years now needing a rebuild u could buy it for a few hundred, only thing is that there a great car to go sideways.

Reeco

Member +
i have heard that they need alot of looking after and when they go wrong the really do go wrong. were still disgussing at the minute how much cash ill be putting on top but the spec list is big and its immaculate. reeco i think that could be the blue hayward which is for sale on ebay at the minute

yeah hes selling up now, think hes after £15000 for it? hes after a v8 converted one next i believe. is worth every penny though, looks amazing and has had ridiculous amounts of money spent on it. was originaly black but some pricks in swindon threw paint stripper all over it, his works van got targetted recently too, he keeps the rex away from home now in a seperate garage.