threaded mess

malcolmgt

Member +
took hot pipe off at weekend to do some changes. anyway went to put my hot side pipe onto the turbo threads and put the bolts on.

bolts have dethreaded the thread.. so cannot get bolts on.

any ideas? cant just take them out and replace or i would!!

mickyboy

Member +
If you put the nut on the thread with out the hot pipe tighten the nut up but not to tight then unscrew and it should unwind the thread from the turbo then you should be able to get some new ones in there..If you cant get a nut on the thread then get some mole grips on them and they should get them out

Mark-ep91

Member +
hey man same thing happened my old ct9 hybrid turbo just get bolts skinnier than the thread and longer and put the bolt in washer on top and washer on the bottom with a bolt and bolt it up :)

malcolmgt

Member +
If you put the nut on the thread with out the hot pipe tighten the nut up but not to tight then unscrew and it should unwind the thread from the turbo then you should be able to get some new ones in there..If you cant get a nut on the thread then get some mole grips on them and they should get them out

thanks, couldnt get the bolt onto the thread at all to even screw it up as the thread at the end was knackered.
so your saying use mole grips and take the thread out??? as it seems part of the whole turbo and not something can take out?

hey man same thing happened my old ct9 hybrid turbo just get bolts skinnier than the thread and longer and put the bolt in washer on top and washer on the bottom with a bolt and bolt it up :)

so get a smaller bolt ? surely it wont fit over the thread that isnt ruined? confused... sorry

Mark-ep91

Member +
thanks, couldnt get the bolt onto the thread at all to even screw it up as the thread at the end was knackered.
so your saying use mole grips and take the thread out??? as it seems part of the whole turbo and not something can take out?

so get a smaller bolt ? surely it wont fit over the thread that isnt ruined? confused... sorry

sorry i mean a skinnier bolt like pretty sure the hotpipe are size 12 bolts which might be 7mm wide so you get size 10 bolts which are around 5mm wide and get them longer so you can put them in and out the other side so you you can get washer and nut on them hope ya under stand me lol

malcolmgt

Member +
sorry i mean a skinnier bolt like pretty sure the hotpipe are size 12 bolts which might be 7mm wide so you get size 10 bolts which are around 5mm wide and get them longer so you can put them in and out the other side so you you can get washer and nut on them hope ya under stand me lol

i seee!! so take them out, get a longer bolt, thread it all the way through the turbo and bolt it up either side?
that would make sense!

weeJohn

Lifer
i seee!! so take them out, get a longer bolt, thread it all the way through the turbo and bolt it up either side?
that would make sense!

Thats it, you can get a thing called a stud extractor that looks like a socket and grips the threaded stud in the turbo so it can be screwed out. Make sure you stuff some paper or a rag into the turbo outlet when doing this to stop any shit falling into it.

malcolmgt

Member +
Thats it, you can get a thing called a stud extractor that looks like a socket and grips the threaded stud in the turbo so it can be screwed out. Make sure you stuff some paper or a rag into the turbo outlet when doing this to stop any shit falling into it.

Cheers for clarity weejohn, will do. thinking when i do it ill have the others ready to go in straight away.
where can you get a stud extractor from, sounds very specific tool.

malcolmgt

Member +
I will bet they are on ebay, cheap set will do if they are only being used now and again. Something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trade-Qua..._Equipment&hash=item1c2030b378#ht_2248wt_1029

might have to use this, had an attempt last night with mole grips. moved a small amount then just stopped. then the other one didnt even move. grrr.

If there is space then just use a monkey wrench to take the studs out.

not alot of room at all.

dark_knight

Member +
i would suggest that you remove the turbo from the car for this task. this is so that;
a) you don't damage your radiator fins as you are likely to slip a hand & go whacking right at the rad, &
b) it gives you loads more room working off the car plus you stress the manifold and exhaust mount points less
sounds like an idea..? :)

Skalabala

Member +
i would suggest that you remove the turbo from the car for this task. this is so that;
a) you don't damage your radiator fins as you are likely to slip a hand & go whacking right at the rad, &
b) it gives you loads more room working off the car plus you stress the manifold and exhaust mount points less

Sounds good to me, rep :)

triple j

Member +
U take a threaded bar out by bolting a nut on as far as it will go then bolt another on top of it tight, then undo the first nut and the threaded bar will come out, then get some new longer bolts, this will work and u will not have to take it off, hope your threads are ok at this stage do. if the are and u dont want to take turbo off u could re thread them, and when your working around there stick a rag in the turbo so nothing falls in.

Last edited:

malcolmgt

Member +

half rad FTW.
yeah may have to come off so can get angle on the bolts and leverage

U take a threaded bar out by bolting a nut on as far as it will go then bolt another on top of it tight, then undo the first nut and the threaded bar will come out, then get some new longer bolts, this will work and u will not have to take it off, hope your threads are ok at this stage do. if the are and u dont want to take turbo off u could re thread them, and when your working around there stick a rag in the turbo so nothing falls in.

hi mate, was going to try this but cant even get the nut on to do this method.

dark_knight

Member +
good on on a half-rad. still, as you mentioned, get it out for better leverage. if the mole-grip approach does not give you much progress. find a welder to weld a stout bar on the end of the bolt-end and with lots of penetrating fluid, use that to leverage the ruined nut out. replace with double-sided bolts..

triple j

Member +
get a good pair of vice grips and with all u have clamp as hard as u can on it, try that a few times if that dont work stick a nut on top with a few welds on it and undo it out with a spanner

malcolmgt

Member +
good on on a half-rad. still, as you mentioned, get it out for better leverage. if the mole-grip approach does not give you much progress. find a welder to weld a stout bar on the end of the bolt-end and with lots of penetrating fluid, use that to leverage the ruined nut out. replace with double-sided bolts..

Dad said he has had a whack while im a work and got one out, dont necessaryily need the other out so will try get the pipes on tonight.

get a good pair of vice grips and with all u have clamp as hard as u can on it, try that a few times if that dont work stick a nut on top with a few welds on it and undo it out with a spanner

yeah will do,

weeJohn

Lifer
Good job, it could well be the nuts that were used on the studs had a different thread and thats what stripped them. Test fit the nuts you plan to use first to make sure they are right.