throttle plate removal

dark_knight

Member +
before anyone skins me, i HAVE done a search on this and not getting relevant results, plus, trying to go through 1,000+ pages of results isn't too much fun.

so, i recently came by an intake mani that had the throttle plate screws rounded off -- meaning, someone went at them and failed miserably, thus rounding them off. what material are the screws made of and what's the best way to get them off as i also tried to nudge mine and could see that they were at the verge of rounding off. & yes, i did use a properly seated screwdriver that was perfectly sized for them.

so.. i need ideas to use on getting mine off, SAFELY..! :cool:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i did the same as you, tried and it was going to start rounding them so stopped. i reckon they must be threadlocked in place. you could try applying some heat, but that could distort the plate if your not careful.

maybe someone else on here has had luck getting the screws out!?

dark_knight

Member +
hmmm.. not too keen on the heat idea, and my reason for wanting them off in the first place is so that i can remove the throttle shaft and seals and clean the entire unit in gasoline and brush it back to pristine cleanliness. if i can't, i'll have a lot of cloth and cotton-bud love to give it.. :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
if i can't, i'll have a lot of cloth and cotton-bud love to give it.. :)

thats how i did mine. its not too bad if you buy a can off intake cleaner so you can spray it in all the tight areas. once the throttle body is off the inlet its not too bad to do tbh.

dark_knight

Member +
Skalabala, i have emulsifying degreaser but don't exactly trust it with the throttle plate shaft seals.. as i am not sure if it is rubber-friendly, so i'm not too confident soaking/submerging it.. :/

weeJohn

Lifer
Drill the heads off then remove the plate and bar, then drill out the screws, re tap the holes and fit new screws.

dac69er

Super Moderator
we are a food factory so shouldn't really use it. we should use crap food grade stuff, but as I ordered it I thought I would get some decent stuff. it came in handy when I rebuilt my engine ;)