Throttle sticking problem, !!

STARLET N/A

Member +
i have a problem with my throttle body sticking. i decided to investigate and found that the throttle butterfly is not making it self shut.

what makes it shut? on my other car it feels spring loaded.

DSC00033.jpg

dac69er

Super Moderator
it will be spring loaded mate, but you have removed the spring part!

mine used to stick, i adjusted the throttle stop and the tps to compensate and it hasnt been right since. been meaning to look at it properly but havnt got round to it

STARLET N/A

Member +
without the spring on my other starlet it still flicks backs and doesnt stick at all.

but this one doesnt flick back by itself.

dac69er

Super Moderator
hmmm, im not sure tbh mate. ive never removed the throttle pulley and spring. i assumed it was just a straight bar through with tps on one end and the spring and pulley on the other!?!? sorry i cant help anymore!

dark_knight

Member +
sticky throttle

@STARLET N/A: try removing the intake piping (on the right side in the pic) and take a look on the inside of the TB. check the butterfly. it could be gunked out in there causing you the problems. with the spring back in place, it should be able to bounce back to the fully-shut position.

dark_knight

Member +
cleaning the TB

a toothbrush dipped in fuel or kerosene followed by dabbing away with a cloth dampened in the same should do the trick. either that or completely dismount the unit and use a degreasing agent to get all the gunk off.. :)

STARLET N/A

Member +
i gave it a good clean and its not sticking anymore! :) will rep everyone when i get a chance.

But now the car is idling high 2000rpm when warm. Iv got the Idle control screw, screwed in fully, so idle wont go any lower. if i loosen the screw idle goes up.

Any suggestion as to why its idling high?

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
hunting or steady high idle?

when you removed the piping etc to clean the place up, did you put everything back in place..? perhaps one of the (smaller) TB pipe connections came off..? the ones going to the air-con control module (mounted on the firewall) at times come off but are not easily visible. worth a check..?
is it a hunting idle or a constant idle at ~2k revs..?

Last edited:

STARLET N/A

Member +
i have checked everything and the idle has come down a bit now using the the throttle stop.

but the idle is still 1400-1500rpm and its constant. this is after cleaning the throttle body and the ICV.

the air-con control module?? where is that? what part of the inlet would it connect to?

all the throttle body and inlet pipes are connected to something

i have also noticed the inlet manifold is getting quite hot on idle, is this right?

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
iMani heat

@STARLET N/A: here's what i meant by the air-con control module. it pretty much has vacuum pipes connecting to the TB at various points so just check them.

after the car has run for a while, it will be normal for the intake mani to get warm since it's conducting heat from the block, unless you have a thermal gasket between the mani and the block. if it's too hot though, it may be a concern. if you go for a spirited drive, it's not odd to see temps as high as 50+ deg C on there..

STARLET N/A

Member +
Im thinking of getting rid of the aircon module, dont need it.

my inlet mani in that case is getting too hot, can barley touch the thing. normally it should be warm,

i have only had it on idle and its getting hot. what could be causing this?

also if I loosen the TPS and move it one way or the other when car is on, what difference will that make with rpm at idle?

thanks for all your help guys, this issue is doing my nut

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
manifold concerns

ok on removing the air-con module but if you do that then you will also need to remove all other affiliated accessories, the air-con rad, compressor, condenser (in the cabin) etc. removing the pump will mean you get a shorter belt (if you have power steering). there's a thread on here for that.

about your intake mani getting hot, that's a little odd. nothing comes to mind for me. if you decide to move your TPS around, you should calibrate it properly using a multimeter and feeler gauge. there's also a thread on here about that.

may i ask, is this your daily driver..?

STARLET N/A

Member +
no, its not may daily driver, but might be soon, so need to get it sorted.

thanks, will probably have to see what changes the air-con module will make and take it from there.

will see if i can calibrate the tps, if not then it will be off to the garage to get that done.