ticking noise from engine, help!

just bought a new starlet gt today and everything seemed fine on it for few hours but then after giving it a bit of welly when i stopped i could hear a ticking noise. The noise is there on idle and the speed of ticking also increases as revs increase. The car is also ideling rather low at 500rpm. Anyone got any ideas on what it could be?? :confused:

dark_knight

Member +
@ dangerousdai75: do you know how the fuel injectors sound..? can you tell the difference, & whether this is it..?

max9650

Member +
i had the exactly samt thing on mine, all was fine but about 4-6 weeks after i bought it, it was idleing at 500 and made ticking, all i did is adjust the screw under the rubber bung just next to the throttle cable, worked fine :) idles at 800 again and no more tick tick :)

dark_knight

Member +
thinking slightly outside the box, it is possible that the ticky noise is because the engine is idling at way too low a rev, right..? perhaps getting it to 750+ rpm would cure the problem like it did for max9650..?

max9650

Member +
thinking slightly outside the box, it is possible that the ticky noise is because the engine is idling at way too low a rev, right..? perhaps getting it to 750+ rpm would cure the problem like it did for max9650..?

This man knows! he will go far in life! thinking outside the box :D

Got it ideling right now but noise is still there. has got louder and makes quite a loud tapping/knocking noise when revved. Definately not coming from the bottom end though, Did a compression test just to check and everything was fine. im baffled.

Skalabala

Member +
Sounds to me like the tappets. When the engine gets hot the oil gets thinner and then worn tappets will sing you a song.

Ted

Member +
bottom end knocking can sound like its coming from the top. get a long extension bar or screwdriver and put it against the sump with other side to your ear, have a listen.

Mental Mouse

Member +
I'm getting this same problem since I did the head gasket, and yes I had the cams out, any suggestions? I was thinking worn tappets but was fine before hand! Put it down to the 5-40 oil at first then changed back to 10-40 but no change! Could it be cam carrier related??

AdamB

Member +
Did you put in a bolt in the service hole on the inlet cam? This ensures it is tensioned properly upon removal, if not it will tap.

Mental Mouse

Member +
Just found some more topics using the search, can't remember if we used a bolt or not tbh so am goin have a crack this weekend!
Cheers Adam

marty

Member +
had a similar problem with my glanza..ticking type noise on idle and got louder / faster when i revved. took it to my mechanic and he said it was a blowout in the exhaust manifold. so got some new gaskets and i'll keep you informed...hopefully get round to fittin the buggars this week work permitting!