tire pressure

crazygt

Member +
as a everyday driver what would b a recommened tire pressure for a gt turbo with 14 inch rims has on toyo t1r 195/50/r14

TurboDave

Member +
The cars are only light no need for big pressure.

I run 29 in the front and 27 in the rear on cool tyres.

starbogt

Member +
I was thinking 30psi is very high for a light car! I run 28psi up front and 26-27 on rear if on a track I'd run 23@ front and 24@rear @cold pressures

crazygt

Member +
thanks

thank you for the great info my girl friend wouldnt listen to me she runs 20 to 22psi everyday i told her shes crazyyyy lol thank sguys byee i thought 30psi cause i run that in mine but she doesnt listen lol

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
30 - 32 Psi, It's nothing to do with the weight of the car it's to do with holding the tyres shape. at lower pressure your more inclined to get tyre wall deflection which has a pendulim effect on the car cauesing bad handling

TurboDave

Member +
30 - 32 Psi, It's nothing to do with the weight of the car it's to do with holding the tyres shape. at lower pressure your more inclined to get tyre wall deflection which has a pendulim effect on the car cauesing bad handling

The amount of stress on the tyre sidewall is directly proportional to the weight of the car hence that statement isnt strictly true.

Franza1

Yes but the strength of the tyre wall is directly proportionate to the amount of pressure in the tyre. So the statement is still true ;)

EDIT*

Plus, if cornering an the tyre wall is too soft it will run along the road, since it is not intended to be a wear surface it will not take much wear to create a hole and or rewen the integrity of the side wall, Creating more of a chance of a blow out, It also increases the risk of buckling your rims as the lower pressure isn't as good as a properly inflated tyre at taking shock impacts

Last edited:

TurboDave

Member +
I am not denying that the air pressure in the tyres determines the side wall strength I am saying though that the weight of the car is a big factor :).

Franza1

so your saying that the thin side wall of a tyre can hold a 930 odd kilogram car better than a 1100 kilogram car. The differance in weigh is not big enough. plus you are not talking about horozontal load more about vetical stress during cornering. the tyres are designed to take a spicific PSI to work efficantly. it's peoples safty in question, as well as increased un-predicitability when going from left to right ( and visa versa ) bends the pendulime action is increased, therefore making the car more unpredictable ( granted not that big but there none the less )

TurboDave

Member +
In that case then, all cars which share the same size tyres should have the same amount of pressure in the tyres? This is not true it varies depending on the weight of the car. And yes I am saying that the lighter the car the less vertical strain there is on the sidewall.

dac69er

Super Moderator
standard pressure for standard wheel and tire size (which is more or less what you have) is 1.8 bar all round. that is 26psi.

personally i think that is a tad low but thats what it says.