Too Many Options!

Corleone

Member +
So the Starlet has gone in for its MOT today, but thats not what im concerned about.

Theres just too many decisions to be made on the modification front.

As of now im running a CT9 at 1 bar on a RX TMIC, but I still want more out of her. The next step for me is front mount and even that has too many choices on its own!

Then there is the turbo! Do I go hybrid CT9 or TD04. I could get a hybrid on my current setup with no other parts needed what so ever, but will I still want more? Theres so many nice TD04 kits knocking around its hard not to be tempted! So of the kits even come with intercoolers so that can confuse my first decision also! Theres even the adapter kit on the "For Sale" section, but that would need modifiying to go on my exhuast!

So many choices :mad: Just felt like having a little vent and if anyone has any input then go for it! :p

Spoonz

Member +
all depends how deep your pockets are lool
u cud go TD04 then 4months down the line u may pop a head gasket or summut and then more money on engine or forging loool the same with a hybrid.
All depends what u actually want from the car u say alot of nice TD04 kits are coming out theres alot of noce hybrids in development aswell

Im thinking the same as you buddy but now I have made my mind up and its to go for..........CT9 Hybrid.
My reasons behind this is if I ever went TD04 or bigger I would want a forged engine so I could run the turbo at its full potential also you would need a mappable ECU but I have a Jam ECU which should be fine on a hybrid also if you get the right Hybrid on the right setup you will make very good power.
Seen what happened my mates engine when he went TD04@1BAR without forging and it wasnt pretty.:eek:
Christy

Spoonz

Member +
Im thinking the same as you buddy but now I have made my mind up and its to go for..........CT9 Hybrid.
My reasons behind this is if I ever went TD04 or bigger I would want a forged engine so I could run the turbo at its full potential also you would need a mappable ECU but I have a Jam ECU which should be fine on a hybrid also if you get the right Hybrid on the right setup you will make very good power.
Seen what happened my mates engine when he went TD04@1BAR without forging and it wasnt pretty.:eek:
Christy

Exactly my point alot of ppl who forge cause of there engines goin pop are sat on TD04s lool

gglavin

Member +
exactly its a good complaint, if you have the money, forge & tdo4/5 simple as, if your funds are limited then hybrid CT9 with boost controller . the HDI cooler seems to get good reviews & its cheap enough.

Corleone

Member +
Christy

I am currently running a Jam ECU also, which was used before on a hybrid at 1.2 bar. So that may be a good option for me atm. Would be nice to break the 200bhp mark, but not sure if I can on a hybrid with a Jam ECU. Spose there is only one way to find out. What Hybrid you looking at?

On the intercooler front, has anybody seen or used one of those ebay setups. They look identical to HDI kits but are obviously replica's. But are they any good?

I am currently running a Jam ECU also, which was used before on a hybrid at 1.2 bar. So that may be a good option for me atm. Would be nice to break the 200bhp mark, but not sure if I can on a hybrid with a Jam ECU. Spose there is only one way to find out. What Hybrid you looking at?

On the intercooler front, has anybody seen or used one of those ebay setups. They look identical to HDI kits but are obviously replica's. But are they any good?

Not sure about the coolers as I already have a JAM one.lol. As for breaking the 200BHP mark you should easily do that with the Jam on also. With my Jam ECU with standard manifold and cat in place and air filter in stock position (plus a blow out in exhaust and I think the standard mani was cracked.lol) Boosting 0.9BAR, I made 164BHP and 178 Torque. I am going to rolling road it again now with new manifold,decat,air filter relocated and new clutch and see what the CT9 gets at 1 BAR.
As for Hybrid only one way to go is Tong GT Spec, but going to wait until the £ gets stronger.
Christy

Corleone

Member +
Not sure about the coolers as I already have a JAM one.lol. As for breaking the 200BHP mark you should easily do that with the Jam on also. With my Jam ECU with standard manifold and cat in place and air filter in stock position (plus a blow out in exhaust and I think the standard mani was cracked.lol) Boosting 0.9BAR, I made 164BHP and 178 Torque. I am going to rolling road it again now with new manifold,decat,air filter relocated and new clutch and see what the CT9 gets at 1 BAR.
As for Hybrid only one way to go is Tong GT Spec, but going to wait until the £ gets stronger.
Christy

Thats a nice result there! Would be interested to see what it is now. Yeah the Tongs look good also. Stupid economic downfall :(

Thats a nice result there! Would be interested to see what it is now. Yeah the Tongs look good also. Stupid economic downfall :(

Yeah was pleased with the result as Type R where only making 175BHP with no torque:haha:lol.
Put it this was if you went TD04 you would be looking around £500 for a nice TD04 Kit then you could get fully forged and fitted for £1750 (Trevor) and then emanage ultimate £500 althogther close enough £3000. Dont get me wrong you would have a weapon of a car.
Or you could go for a Hybrid around £400 job done and get a cheap cooler. Then enjoy:drive:
Christy

Spoonz

Member +
Yeah was pleased with the result as Type R where only making 175BHP with no torque:haha:lol.
Put it this was if you went TD04 you would be looking around £500 for a nice TD04 Kit then you could get fully forged and fitted for £1750 (Trevor) and then emanage ultimate £500 althogther close enough £3000. Dont get me wrong you would have a weapon of a car.
Or you could go for a Hybrid around £400 job done and get a cheap cooler. Then enjoy:drive:
Christy

Thats the main thing

cole

Member +
to be honest if you go for a hybrid ( your already craving more power )

your just gonna want a tdo4 in the future when you get used to the hybrid and it never stops

untill your bank balance tells you to lol

Spoonz

Member +
to be honest if you go for a hybrid ( your already craving more power )

your just gonna want a tdo4 in the future when you get used to the hybrid and it never stops

untill your bank balance tells you to lol

deep pockets required