too much engine oil?

simon-GT

Fresh Recruit
whats that worst that could happen if you have too much engine oil??
went to get the oil n oil filter changed at the garage about 1-2 weeks ago, it appears that the oil is above the full amount by about 2cm on the dip stick. ive driven about 200 miles since then n dont have any problems atm. should I leave it or drain some of it out?

thanks

Idrees

Banned
I'd drain it out to be on the safe side. Do you get any white smoke from the exhaust because I think it would burn the excess oil? I could be wrong though, I'm no expert.

simon-GT

Fresh Recruit
I'd drain it out to be on the safe side. Do you get any white smoke from the exhaust because I think it would burn the excess oil? I could be wrong though, I'm no expert.

no white smoke, it just runs normally. i was thinking of leaving it coz over time it will go down on its own. but if it could cause any problems i would drain it a bit.

dac69er

Super Moderator
it can cuase premature leaking of oil seals, its detrimental to performance (very slightly) and can cause the engine to burn the oil.

its not good anyway, 2cm is quite a bit overfull.

GTti

Member +
It'll throw it in the breather, if you have a catch can fitted it'll go in there, if not then it will cover the inside of your compressor, intercooler, hoses, throttle body and plenum and eventually get combused ;) (Nothing wrong with the latter by the way)

Fit a catch can, or just change the oil filter and dont top up. That'll reduce the level a little as the filters can penetrate a substancial amount of oil anyway.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
if its too high it cant fuck the oil pump, which = game over

its really got a "maximum" for a reason so i would definetly empty it out.

hopefully it hasnt done any major damage so youve been quiet lucky.

but i had a audi a4 turbo that came in with overfilled oil and lets say it went to the scrapheap in the sky!

Monkfish

Member +
Too much engine oil increases the pressure significantly. This can cause oil seal failures, ruin the pump or even shag your piston rings.

For the sake of a few minutes worth of work and draining the sump a little, it's worth it.

:)