Top end tapping?

GlanzaTD04

Member +
Had this engine fully forged back in november last year but the last week or so have heard a distinctive tapping/ticking from the engine, from what i can work out it is the valvetrain but i could be wrong?
just trying to get some opinions before i go knee deep and start tearing everything out! i have posted a vid below which should hopefully work!..please note there is a slight crack in mani hence it sounding like a diesel altho is the least of my worries atm!
any opinions welcomed!

[video=youtube;wRAyED68Uqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRAyED68Uqw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

davehart

Member +
That does not sound to healthy.

Sounds like something inside the block. Have you noticed it getting louder or worse?

SupaStu

Member +
Mani ticking normally goes away when warmed up, I found my cracked mani making a sharper ticking noise than this.

get a video of you holding it constant revs about 3k, or what ever is needed to get it to make that noise constantly.

But that deep bassy knock is typically signs of an iminant big end failure i'm afraid.

You can tell it seems more bottom end noise because you can hear the faster tapping of the cams which are spinning double that of the crank, the knocking isn't in the same rhythm as the tap from the cams.

get me the video and i'll do my best to confirm

Tim
TB Developments

AdamB

Member +
Agree with Tim, when I heard it, it sounded like a quite deep knocking.
Do you have an oil pressure gauge?

AdDaMan

Member +
as above. sounded just like mine 2 days before it went bang.
Stop driving it and get the sump off and check!

who did the rebuild?

might be a case of poor lubrication, or just a bad quality build where bearing clearances were correct and its caused premature wear and failure

Tim