TPS idle screw

danturbo4311

Member +
Hi everyone, I got a problem with my ep82 its mis firing when accelerating, today I've been fiddling with the tps. I am running a race tech inlet mani with a race tech throttle body with a standard EP82 throttle position switch and EMU. When setting the resistances on the TPS do you need to wind the idle screw right off then set up the resistances with a multi meter and feeler gauges, or keep it in the position it is (wound a few threads in, so that the throttle butterfly is slightly open so that the car idles).

dac69er

Super Moderator
very much doubt its to do with the tps mate.

is there no other idle adjustment apart from adjusting the throttle stop? if not then adjust the throttle stop to get the desired idle and then set the tps with the feeler gauges.

danturbo4311

Member +
Na the race tech mani doesnt have anything like the idle control valve connected, so the only way I can adjust the idle is through the tps and the EMU. Iv managed to get it idling ok when hot but when I start it from cold it keeps cutting out, if i up the idle via the screw when cold or fiddle about with the EMU it will idle really high when hot or just cut out and not start. Im thinking its definetly TPS as its the only bit Iv touched recently plus it jerks alot when pulling away.

danturbo4311

Member +
Just the manual 3 pin TPS, I think the problem is when I set it up I was a bit confused on where to actually have the idle screw, before I touched it was idling a bit high so I thought Id wind it off a little bit, but maybe I did it to much, but I set the TPS to that position (which is to low an idle) once Its set can you adjust the screw without restting all the resistance. I assume it all needs to be reset, like you said, I think I need to get the right idle with the screw then set the TPS up properly.

dac69er

Super Moderator
its not a variable resistance, just on/off. like i said, set the idle speed and then set the tps. you may need to fiddle slightly as when you adjust the idle the tps will alter.

see how it goes from there

weeJohn

Lifer
I dont know if the EMU supports this but with the Power FC you can set it to run slightly richer when the engine is cold. This helps with cold idle.

danturbo4311

Member +
I managed to sort out the TPS and got it idling not to sad now and it doesn't jult anymore when pulling away. However Iv got another problem, it basically hesitates and misfires badly when flooring it like 3000rpm onwards in any gear. I done diagnostic code check and its saying code 12, no signal from either RPM signal or crankshaft position sensor. And according to auto data the probable causes are, wiring, distributor, ignition amplifier or ECU.

Tonight when I go to start it the starter motor turns then suddenly stops then turns again and it starts, Iv been keeping an eye on the plugs and the engines been overfueling and every plug gets really black and sotted up. The plugs themselves are heat range 8 ngk iriduims and not that old the leads are magnacore again not that old. Im thinking that the problem may be with the amplifier as whatever it is, its affecting all cylinders. Also Iv checked all the earths and the ignitor/amplier and sercured tight so that also has a good earth.