trd_seo project thread

ruggiero06

Member +
So I figured it was time to make one of these. Im gonna start with my "paseo story". Its gonna be long so scroll down to the good stuff if you dont care to read.

So my Paseo life started when I was working at VW at a car porter before I moved to sales. I needed a car as my other car spun a bearing and blew. So Im in the back looking at the shitty trade ins that arent going on the lot and being sold off to smaller dealerships. So I see a white Jetta GLS the same one that dude had on Fast and Furious. Then I see the little sporty 2 door Toyota Ive never seen before (well probably seen but never noticed, you know how that works). So I ask the GSM how much they would give it to me for. They say 1000. I say can you pull it out of my checks. They say yes. So I make them give me a loaner plate so I can drive the car for a week before I buy it to make sure its not a lemon. All goes well and Im now the owner of a 1994 Toyota Paseo. So I later move to sales. I start looking at forums and stuff on Paseos and found terceloline.com, torontopaseoclub, and toyotanation. So when I didnt feel like selling cars I would go to the BDC and just sit on the computer at my desk. I was addicted. I read every thread I could. I read at home, at friends, on my phone, read, read and read. So I started doing small things to my car. Wires, cap, paint valve cover, alot of little things.

Then one day Im on TO.com and I see a 4efte swapped Paseo in Texas for a good price. I hit up my best friend whose in the Air Force and I havent seen in years and ask if I can stay with him if I go down there and buy a car he says yes. So then I ask my other friend if hes down for a cross country trip and hes down. So we get a pair of greyhound tickets pack up and leave at 5am. The bus ride is a 36 hour ride. So during all the stops me and him take a smoke break to help us sleep through this long ass drive. During one food/smoke break we go to the bus and its gone. I see it like a quarter mile up the road. Im in flip flops so can barely run so I take them off and start booking bare foot in the street in New Mexico in August. Yea my feet hated me but I caught up to the bus right before he was entering the freeway ramp. So now we stay put and no more smoke breaks. Took some Ambien to sleep and I dont really remember the next 20 hours of the bus ride. It was like we teleported there lol. So he the guy with the paseo picks us up at Greyhound. We go to his moms where the car is at. I have to install a new radiator and touch up some things before the drive. I get it running and test drive it. Its exactly what he told me it would be so I got it. Man its crazy how much more awesome a paseo is with a 4e in it. My first time slamming through the gears put an o-shit face on me and my buddies face. So were driving towards the freeway as my Air Force friend lives 150 miles away from Dallas. We asked these kids in a Intergra where the freeway is at. He replies "wanna race" I said ok is that a GSR and he was like yea. So we race a few lights and we stood head to head. Him and his friend were like wtf that thing is boosted. So we have a great time with my old friend and its time to leave. So to pass time we hook up a laptop to the cig lighter and watch seasons of house and dexter. Its 3am at this point and were driving...smoking....watching shows (yes I was watching while driving lol) and bam I see cop lights. Im pretty sure Im going to jail at this point because I dont have insurance, registration, or moving permit...just a bill of sale, not too mention it reaks of weed. So he tells me to come to the car and were talking and hes running my ID and the cars vin. But then he says everything is alright and lets me go. So back on the road 9 hours later were in New Mexico (fucking New Mexico again) and the car is overheating. I look and see the fan is seized. So its cool when we drive but at stops (food, gas, smoke) it overheats. So balls. Finally after 16 hours I get back to vegas.

Now the real journey begins. So now I have a legit car to take out the the local race scene. I make a name for Seos out there as I continually rape honda after honda. By now the valve seals are getting real bad (they were going out when I bought the car). Its getting to the point were it smokes too much in traffic. So I pull my head off. While doing this I notice oil in the intercooler. The turbo seals went. Also I see my #3 piston is slightly lower then the others. Fuuuuuck. So I pull the motor and take it apart. I have 2 bent rods. So now time to build up from the ground up bigger, stronger, faster. So as I gather parts I work on it stripping the carpet, sound deadening mat, and such. So the car sits in my parents garage where I live for like 4 months. They have to move so I have to move my car to a friends. So I tow it there. I work on it from time to time but it just mostly sits untouched for like another 5 months. Then I buy a house with the gf and do tons of work to the house. So then FINALLY I get to tow my car tow MY house. Now it sits here in my garage and I been working like crazy. So I have about 95% of the stuff I need to get it running that I acquired while the car was sitting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENGINE Its basically gonna be a frankestien 5efhte
3EFE block bored out to an overbore 5efe stock is 74mm mine is 74.5mm or .020 over
20cc more displacement
Block skimmed .010
Head skimmed .010
3 angle valve job
All new shims
Crank journals ground down .010
New bearings to match
All internal components have been cryoed by 300 Below INC
2nd gen 5efe headgasket
WEPR CT9 exhaust mani
5EFHE ACIS intake mani
New 5EFHE OEM rods
All new Toyota seals and gaskets
New timing belt, idler bearing, tension bearing
New Toyota headbolts, main bolts, main caps, flywheel bolts all cryoed
Greddy Type-S BOV
Comptech Water-to-Air cooler
Tech-2 Heat Exchanger
HKS adjustable actuator

DRIVETRAIN
ACT Extreme pressure plate
Exedy Street disc
100 percent clamp load increase, 277 lbs.-ft. torque capacity
Resurfaced flywheel
Cryoed flywheel bolts

BODY
Completely stripped interior
Rolled fenders
Battery tray removed

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION
Seam welded (in process)
Reinforced mounts (in process)
Whiteline Antilift kit with poly control arm bushings
Whiteline rear adjustable panhard bar
Energy Suspension sway bar endlinks with poly bushings
KYB GR2 shocks
RS*R springs
New ball joints
New shock/strut mounts
New tie rod ends
Team Dynamics Pro Racing wheels 12lbs each

MISC
Celica GTS 150mph speedo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PICTURE TIME!!!

Bent 4e rod compared to a 5efhe rod and piston
2zqa642.jpg

Cleaned up the used 5EFHE pistons and rods for sale
2b4h8w.jpg

Greddy Type-S BOV
mbo9hi.jpg

Comptech Aftercooler (water-to-air cooler)
2eci0k2.jpg

Tech-2 heat exchanger upgrade for aftercooler
2lm6u82.jpg

Painted
2mxrj28.jpg

WEPR Exhaust Mani
2mz04yu.jpg

HKS adjustable actuator
2rhxua9.jpg

ACT Extreme pressure plate
2ekm2ag.jpg

Exedy Street Disc
2jcoro.jpg

Parts Galore...pistons/rods sold, emb is sold as well
2wn1r7s.jpg

Celica GTS 150mph speedo
16lxy5z.jpg

3E blocked madness bored to overbore 5e
2r3w9bp.jpg

4efte rebuilt head
316vwp2.jpg

Big parts
2hyup9y.jpg

New OEM 5efhe rods and .020 (.5mm) pistons compared to used Toyota 5efhe rods and pistons
66hvmo.jpg

4uysya.jpg

3483h1c.jpg

13yneig.jpg

5EFHE ACIS Mani
14y1umh.jpg

Torn down
28jw201.jpg

Prepping Engine bay for seam welding and paint
29o0855.jpg

34g7n1e.jpg

20k9boj.jpg

dxxtls.jpg

a4a59t.jpg

2094m8k.jpg

2wmmjo0.jpg

2a9p8nq.jpg

2exy52g.jpg

dd154l.jpg

A little rust where the battery use to be
fonolj.jpg

Interior
5am0bp.jpg

r9eknd.jpg

Engine Building...I gotta get pics from the crank install from a friends camera
sy18hx.jpg

25ouxr9.jpg

xri8g.jpg

34sld8p.jpg

2qv6ru1.jpg

x2vrl5.jpg

2r59eu8.jpg

2lm9dv6.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I been hard at work lately on my car because it hasnt run in almost a year. My goal is to have it running (non turbo) in a month. Im gonna break in the motor without the turbo. It will also be running on E85.

I will be updating this post and posting new posts of not so important stuff. Feel free to ask questions, give me criticism, help me out, w.e.

Last edited:

ruggiero06

Member +
Update

ugh more stripping of paint and seam paste....fml

2uj3w9v.jpg

2yxm78g.jpg

1ggcqp.jpg

14j56c7.jpg

grinded down that rust

before
fonolj.jpg

after
fvlahw.jpg

Heres some info I put together about my motor. I kinda go into basics because I had to explain this to people that arent familiar with our platforms.

Ill try to explain the the "franken motor". Im combing the 4efte turbo, electronics onto a 5efe. Doing this get me an extra 200cc as the 4efte is 1.3L and the 5e is 1.5L respectively. This is done completely by stroke. The piston diameter stays the same which is 74mm. Also the the compression ratio get a huge bump from a lowly 8.2:1 to somewhere in the high 9's. I cant get the exact number because no one has real numbers for the piston dish cc's but from hours and hours of playing with a CR calculator and Im right around what a 5efhe is which is 9.8:1 +/- 0.1:1

1st Gen 5EFE
Displacement (cc): 1497
Horsepower: 100 @ 6400
Torque (ft-lbs): 91 @ 3200
Bore (mm): 74
Stroke (mm): 77.4

Compression Ratio: 9.4:1
Vavles per Cylinder: 4
Valve Angle: 25°
Headgasket Thickness (mm) : 1mm

4EFTE
Displacement (cc): 1331
Horsepower: 135 @ 6400
Torque (ft-lbs): 16 @ 4800
Bore (mm): 74
Stroke (mm): 77.4
Compression Ratio: 8.2:1
Vavles per Cylinder: 4
Valve Angle: 25°
Cam Design: DOHC
Ignition System: Distributor
Spark Plug Gap: .022"
Fuel System: Fuel Injected, excess fuel return
Head Gasket Thickness (mm): 1.2

Block
3e block (3rd generation E-series). I had to bore it out 1 mm because 3e is 73mm bore and 5e (5th generation E-series) is 74mm. Technically a 3e bored to 74mm is the same as a 5e block.

Head gasket
2nd gen 5EFE head gasket. Half the thickness .5mm of a 1st gen 5EFE hg (1mm thick) and .7mm smaller than the 4efte hg (1.2mm thick).

Pistons
I decided that I wanted extra displacement and another slight increase in compression ratio. So I found a set of a .5mm oversized pistons 74.5mm compared to the stock 74mm. That gave me an extra 20cc bringing my displacement to 1517cc.

Rods
Same company that supplied the pistons supplied the rods. Which I completely lucked out (all of the TerSeo community as well) because their OEM 5efe rods happen to be the same as the thicker 5EFHE (High output 5e that had thicker rods).

Crank
3e crank. Exactly the same as the 5e crank. The main journals were worn (the junkyard motor had close to 300k miles) so they ground down the journals .010". They also replaced the main caps because the main journals were bad the caps must have been bad. So they center bored the caps to the block like a good machine should.

Milling
I had the head and block milled .010" or .25mm for flatness and a very slight increase in compression ratio.

Stock Paseo weight
2026lbs

Weight Distribution
Front/Rear 62/38 or 1256/769

So far I have removed the ALL a/c components in the the engine bay, all p/s components, windshield wiper reservoir removed, the battery is being moved to the trunk. So not counting anything else Ive removed but with these changes I should have a ~125lbs removed from the engine bay and 45lbs relocated to the trunk (battery).

New Weight Distribution (not counting sound deading and interior pieces removed)
Front/Rear 57/43 or 1086/814

As far as the inside of the car goes all sound deadening material has been removed, carpet, back seats, 75% of the plastic trim (door panels and rear storage compartments will be removed when racing but they are pretty useful when not racing)

Im hoping to get as close to 50/50 as I can get. When I get the car on scales I will really be able to fine tune it