tricky maths sum i cant do it :S

Adam_Glanza

Member +
hey guys, this is for my sisters homework lol but were all baffled! ive tried for a while now and i think i need a few fresh brains heads to give me a hand lol :)

basically you start with two different numbers to begin with, and the answer has to be able to add into itself, and also times by the two figures.

so we started with for example 28 and 16, so as below

14 + 2 = 16

14 x 2 = 28

so 14 and 2 is the answer...

basically were stuck on 72 and 22. so something has to be able to add up to these numbers, and also times by eachother!

hope i made it clear enough lol :)

Harvey

Member +
its quite easy to work out.....

Take the lower number, 23

and work back. you have 22+1 = 23, but of course 22x1 = 22

so 21* 2, nope and thats 42

20 * 3 = 60

19 * 4 = 76

18 * 5 = 90

17 * 6 = 102

16 * 7 = 112

so thats your answer, 16 and 7

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
i am chuffing useless at maths, the other day i was putting some money away and had trouble figuring out what 260 + 133 was. i mean for f*cks sake! i am :homer:

dac69er

Super Moderator
my maths is dire. i managed to get an HNC at college and did higher level maths, i have no idea how though????

jamesbaa

Member +
why do you need to be good at maths when the person sitting next to you is better and willing to help (even if they dont know it lol):p!!!

59bhp

Member +
you think thats bad i went from doing a nd in vehicle maintanence to doing a degree in mechanical engineering.

Luckily i managed to make freinds with a few genius' who taught me the basics lol

supernova

Member +
ok here is my take on the 22 and 72 problem (can then use same technique to solve and 2 numbers)

so the product of the 2 has to equal 72 so call them x and y:

x*y = 72 .....(1)

and the sum has to be equal to 22 so:

x+y = 22 ......(2)

Just basically have 2 simultaneous equations.

arranging (2) gives

y = 22-x

plug this into (1) to give

x(22-x) = 72

x^2 - 22x +72 =0

factorising gives

(x - 4)(x-18) = 0

which gives

x = 4,18

when you put x=4 into (2) gives y = 18
and when you put x=18 gives y = 4,
so answer is 4 and 18.
Hope everyone understands and i didn't bore anyone. Btw i got a degree in theoretical physics :)

white-ep82

Member +
ok here is my take on the 22 and 72 problem (can then use same technique to solve and 2 numbers)

so the product of the 2 has to equal 72 so call them x and y:

x*y = 72 .....(1)

and the sum has to be equal to 22 so:

x+y = 22 ......(2)

Just basically have 2 simultaneous equations.

arranging (2) gives

y = 22-x

plug this into (1) to give

x(22-x) = 72

x^2 - 22x +72 =0

factorising gives

(x - 4)(x-18) = 0

which gives

x = 4,18

when you put x=4 into (2) gives y = 18
and when you put x=18 gives y = 4,
so answer is 4 and 18.
Hope everyone understands and i didn't bore anyone. Btw i got a degree in theoretical physics :)

simultanious equation breakdown for thise more complicated if anyone ever has any future need or plans to study maths may be worth remembering!

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
algebra.jpg