Trouble fitting new discs/bearings

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Hi.

I have been following the guide on here by wallaceglanza on fitting new discs. I've noticed that he has used new bearings, my question is do I have to buy new bearing or can the old ones be removed? I did'nt want to start poking them around in case I damaged them.

Don't know if it's how newer discs are, but how come the new discs have an extra grooved ring around the edge and the old ones don't??

Any help much appreciated. Rep points at the ready as I'm stuck half way through the job!

Thanks

discs.jpg

turbojim

Lifer
pretty sure thats an abs ring on the new ones man and did you not get bearings with them??? where did you get em?

and being honest new bearings are a must in my opinion

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Got them from www.importcarparts.co.uk

No bearings came with them, just discs and pads.

The bearings seem in quite good condition, so if it is possible to remove them and re-fit I will do that. I don't really want the car out of action, especially with the miss banzai tunnel round on saturday.

turbojim

Lifer
im pretty sure them bearings are pressed in man altho someone else will confirm and if they are they wont come out easy

Gryzor

Admin
that looks like a new abs rear disc, worth going to a motor-factors and picking up a set of new starlet N/A bearings ;)

im pretty sure them bearings are pressed in man altho someone else will confirm and if they are they wont come out easy

they wont be easy to get out but you can use a specific tool i.e. a puller to pull them out, or if you have an access from behind the bearing just use a bronze chisel and a hammer and knock it out slowly, important to punch all round on the outer race of the bearing slowly!

Gryzor

Admin
they wont be easy to get out but you can use a specific tool i.e. a puller to pull them out, or if you have an access from behind the bearing just use a bronze chisel and a hammer and knock it out slowly, important to punch all round on the outer race of the bearing slowly!

:homer:

if ya must..

024.jpg

ref...

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Kool thanks for your help guys. Everybody has been repped! Going to try to source some wheel bearings, if they dnt come by saturday then I'll have to stick the old ones back on!

What should've taken about 15mins took over an hour just because the bolts were so hard to move!

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Have I bought the wrong discs??? Wondered why the old discs don't seem to have an abs ring? Will the new ones still fit?

Panicking slightly because its the tunnel run tonight!

Stulet-GTT

Member +
It looks like you have the wrong disc's...

I have changed my rear disc's an pad's last month and it was easy, only took about 40min's each side to do...

I got my disc's from Toyota and they came with new bearing's aswell, the bearing's are NOT pressed in as when you fit the center nut that clamp's it all togeather...

Stulet-GTT

Member +
024.jpg

And like said you will need this ring to...

When you get the old disc off and have new one next to you, you will see how it all goes...

I had never done mine befor and found it easy to do....

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Bugger.

I bought them as ep82 rear discs with abs. I'm pretty sure I do have abs? 1992 GT.

Recieved the wheel bearings this morning, as I ordered them from a different company.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Yeh. That's why I think they're wrong. Just was'nt sure if they'd still fit but were a newer design or something.

BallıGee

Member +
fitted mine last week the seal does not come in the kit from toyota turn the disc around front facing up put a 22mm long socket into the disc and rest the rear bearing on the seal and the socket on the bearing and tap it out

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Na they hav give ya the abs one's with the grove's in, were your's haven't...

But you might still be able to use them as the size is the same...

Have just found my invoice from Toyota...

Brake disc rear Y42403-19105 £35.95 each...

That included the bearing...