Turbo for hillclimb (approx 300bhp)

GT_Irl

Member +
Ello all. I am looking for a turbo that will achieve approximately 300bhp but with very useable boost...so early full boost etc. What do people reccommend?

azerty

Supermoderator
on a 4e ? that won't be easy to archive high power figures and keep large powerband at the sametime, I hope there isn't too many short bends on your events or you might loose time off boost.
are you allowed to use racefuel ? in that case you might want to look that way to archive more power rather than having a large laggy turbo.
I would go for something like a greddy td04 15g with Ron116 racefull and agressive ignition map :)

you could also use a water injection kit with a preturbo nozzle which tends to extend your turbo flowmap as it will compress cooler air in the compressor housing so it will be a bit more efficient. then an other large nozzle after IC will get your AIT and EGT also cooler and will help to gain power. During hillclimb/rally EGT rise much more than during a drag event and for much longer, so it really is something to worry about. i'll have to do a write up one day about water/meth on 4e, you would be amazed to hear how much you can inject in those little engines :)

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
As said, go for a td04 or a vf series equivalent. You would probably be able to get to about 270bhp, but if you add water/meth injectiOn you could raise the boost slightly with more ignition timing to gain a few extra ponies whilst keeping air intake temps down.

GT_Irl

Member +
Cheers fellas :) I love TGTT! What about TD04 hybrid? Might be able to squeeze 280/290 out of it. Ya, will map it for race fuel and use race fuel. Might have a second map for normal fuel. With water/meth what kind of management will cope with that?

Secondly, I have EMU thinking of binning it for a standalone, what can people reccommend?

Rory - any headwork pal?

AdamB

Member +
You'll need a standalone to run mutliple maps mate.
For the price I would recommend the link g4, it has as many features as other ecu's comes with a built in 4 bar map sensor and for a great price. But don't go by what I or anyone else says, go by what your tuner prefers to map. At the end of the day the ecu is only going to be as good as the person in the passenger seat with the laptop!

azerty

Supermoderator
yes an TD04 hybrid with racefuel should do well. greddy TD04h 15G would realy do IMO, Compresor wheel is a bit bigger than subaru TD04L 13G, so this would help to get more HP. it would cope with quite some boost aswell :)
most people who are looking for 300hp will tend to go for bigger laggy turbo (TD05 and likes), which is fine for drag race, but not a good idea in your case I would think.

your EMU will cope fine enough with your setup, it is a brilliant EMS. you can have two maps, one for regular fuel, and one for race fuel. you could switch maps without needing any computer around. so it could be fine enough reallly. Now a stand alone would let you be even cleaner on your maps, especialy ignition side. I personaly use a Power FC I like as you can revert to pretty much standard anytime you are in doubd with something on your setup. but there much better alternative around. I have seen a Haltech PS1000 on a GT, The software is a real factory. AdamB gave you best advice you could get, just choose the unit your tuner is used to.

GT_Irl

Member +
Dragging this one back from the dead!

Righto chaps..thinking of Link G4 storm for my ecu, turbo setup is going to be K24/k26 hybrid. My next step is headwork, what can people reccommend and what are the likely costs? Also, I am thinking of going for aftermarket inlet manifold, what are the pros and cons of such and potential cost? (Also, what other ancillaries will I need?)

P.s. thanks for the advice so far lads, been awesome :)

Azerty & Rory...thoughts on my turbo/ecu choices for hillclimb?

p.p.s Azerty - forged 4E pal

Rory

Lifer
Good choice on the ECU :) You havent been speaking to Chris have you he loves them ECU's! :haha:

As for the turbo i would still go for the stock TD04L-13G, easy to come by cheap, can be rebuilt if needs be and you can get manifolds etc etc easy as pie.

Head work is something that needs done right or it doesnt work, prices vary with the diffirent work involved. Stock heads work well on these things. TBH i dont see much improvment with mine (still on stock valve sizes and throats)

Stock inlet manifold will be more than sufficient. Unless your pushing silly horsepower which the TD04 wont do, all you will do is slow down the air speed with the bigger plenum. Been there done that. Stock items will flow over 400hp so why cahnge before then ;)

Rory

GT_Irl

Member +
so helpful as ever Rory. Tried to rep but need to spread some around first :p

Ive already bought the k24/k26 (Oops!) but its a rebuilt blitz turbo...pretty much brand new so hopefully be reliable! If it goes bang ill revert to TD04.

Ya, kind of been following what Chris has been saying about ECU's, hoping to get him to do the eventual map session. Thats good to know that you rate them too, now I've just got to ignore my credit card bill for a while!

Thats good news about headwork, maybe initially I won't do any then and see how competitive the car is, what do you think? I can always come back afterwards and add it I suppose.

Inlet mani - ok, great! You are savng me alot of money here pal :D

OK, to round up: Forged 4e, K24/K26 hybrid, no headwork, mapped on a Link G4 using race fuel. Do I need to focus any other attention around power gains and the like or will this setup be sufficient? Is there any tricks I could employ to reduce spool time or will that even be an issue?

Thanks so much for all the help :)

Edit: I would like to set a reduced rev limiter at 6800rpm can this be done on the link G4?

Last edited:

Murray

Member +
Out of curiosity, are you allowed to use race fuel, for whatever class you run in?

What hillclimbs will you be competing and up against what cars?

300 seems abit much if its tight twisty stuff.

As Rore has said a td04 is more than suited for the sprints across here, and some of them are quite tight.
The K24/26 should do well, if its nice and responsive.

Murray

Rory

Lifer
No problem, i sprint myself so will help where i can :)
Ah ok i didnt realise you had bought the k24/k26, keep with that and see how you get on with it. if it doesnt suit what you need you could alwyas sell it.
Chris is a fine lad and will see you well if he maps it ;)

If i were you id gety the turbo kit on (when it arrives) and get it mapped on whatever ECU you choose. Ignore the headwork and inlet manifolds and then concentrate on your chassis. If you think it handles well on the street, it usually means you will soon be finding the limitations of that setup fairly quickly.
Can you run race fuel in what ever hills you are doing?? Is it not MSA blue book specs?

As for little tricks, not really, you could always ask Chris t trry and get the lag down with the mapping.
Apart from that use REVS, so i would keep your standard rev limit or even up it a little bit.

Rory

so helpful as ever Rory. Tried to rep but need to spread some around first :p

Ive already bought the k24/k26 (Oops!) but its a rebuilt blitz turbo...pretty much brand new so hopefully be reliable! If it goes bang ill revert to TD04.

Ya, kind of been following what Chris has been saying about ECU's, hoping to get him to do the eventual map session. Thats good to know that you rate them too, now I've just got to ignore my credit card bill for a while!

Thats good news about headwork, maybe initially I won't do any then and see how competitive the car is, what do you think? I can always come back afterwards and add it I suppose.

Inlet mani - ok, great! You are savng me alot of money here pal :D

OK, to round up: Forged 4e, K24/K26 hybrid, no headwork, mapped on a Link G4 using race fuel. Do I need to focus any other attention around power gains and the like or will this setup be sufficient? Is there any tricks I could employ to reduce spool time or will that even be an issue?

Thanks so much for all the help :)

Edit: I would like to set a reduced rev limiter at 6800rpm can this be done on the link G4?

GT_Irl

Member +
Hey Murray, still chasing that up but I will have a map for race fuel regardless for track days and the like - class is 1100cc -1600cc

Irish hillclimbs - I guess 106 GTIs, civics, clio cup cars, busa raptors...that kind of thing

300 - you reckon? Well that was gpoing to be with headwork and racefuel - If I am using neither it will be more like 260-275, would that suit better pal?

Thats good to know that you rate K24/K26..ill let y'all know how it fares! Probably end up going TD04 then!

Tnx for your help!
Out of curiosity, are you allowed to use race fuel, for whatever class you run in?

What hillclimbs will you be competing and up against what cars?

300 seems abit much if its tight twisty stuff.

As Rore has said a td04 is more than suited for the sprints across here, and some of them are quite tight.
The K24/26 should do well, if its nice and responsive.

Murray

GT_Irl

Member +
Checking on the race fuel now, waiting for an email!

Sounds good :) Ill see what Chris can do on that side of things when I get it mapped.

With the increased rev limit - how much can a forged 4E (std cams and no headwork) rev too?

Speaking of chassis... I am thinking of:
whiteline front & rear ARB
Meister SRV coilovers
Big brakes kit - probably willwood 4 pots
braided brake lines
engine damper
TRD engine mounts
Polyutherane bushs all-round
Uprated front and rear strut braces
Ultra lower arm bar

Am I on the right track?

No problem, i sprint myself so will help where i can :)
Ah ok i didnt realise you had bought the k24/k26, keep with that and see how you get on with it. if it doesnt suit what you need you could alwyas sell it.
Chris is a fine lad and will see you well if he maps it ;)

If i were you id gety the turbo kit on (when it arrives) and get it mapped on whatever ECU you choose. Ignore the headwork and inlet manifolds and then concentrate on your chassis. If you think it handles well on the street, it usually means you will soon be finding the limitations of that setup fairly quickly.
Can you run race fuel in what ever hills you are doing?? Is it not MSA blue book specs?

As for little tricks, not really, you could always ask Chris t trry and get the lag down with the mapping.
Apart from that use REVS, so i would keep your standard rev limit or even up it a little bit.

Rory

Murray

Member +
If its an MSA event you will be in the next class up, as you have to multiply your engine capacity by 1.4 as your turbocharged. At the irish events do normal saloons and hatches go up against bike powered machinery??
As for your chassis list, it all sounds good but remember to get the alignment done.
The turbo you have prob wont push 300 horsies. i was just saying if you had that power it might be a tad laggy for your needs. You really want the car to be as responsive as possible, if your sprint tracks are anything like ours.

Murray

JonoPhilpott

Member +
Sacrifice power for Spool up any day.
Running standard ecu my Td04 came it at about 3600,

One word.................................................. ANTILAG ;)

Rory

Lifer
Aye dont go looking for things if you cant have them! As Murray has pointed out check your class regulations etc for you capacity.

Chassis list looks fine, but you wont know what works well for you until you try it.

As for the limit ive seen 8k before on a stock head, that was with a mines ecu, my limit now is 7500 IIRC and it seems to be just fine. In saying that i dont sit banging the limiter all the time.

Dont bother with anti lag either, all it will do is kill turbos, and if your racing you want your car to be reliable ;)

Checking on the race fuel now, waiting for an email!

Sounds good :) Ill see what Chris can do on that side of things when I get it mapped.

With the increased rev limit - how much can a forged 4E (std cams and no headwork) rev too?

Speaking of chassis... I am thinking of:
whiteline front & rear ARB
Meister SRV coilovers
Big brakes kit - probably willwood 4 pots
braided brake lines
engine damper
TRD engine mounts
Polyutherane bushs all-round
Uprated front and rear strut braces
Ultra lower arm bar

Am I on the right track?

corofin12345

Member +
well dude, what hillclimbs are you going doing? a tdo4 would be good on the flat stuff but if your thinking of entering into the likes of corkscrew hill in clare or similar coarses a hybrid ct9 is the only job, some very twisty hilly coarses in the irish championship so less lag the better, seen an ep71 with 4efte on td04 last year at corkscrew hill and it was going no where, very bad out of the hairpins uphill, i dont think there is restrictions in that class so you could change to td04 for the flat coarses