turbo help please

matt walters

Member +
Hi guys

just wanting some turbo options that aren't stupid money.

I have a forged 5e with vf35 which is producing 335bhp and 253ftlb

I happy with the power obviously but its stupidly laggy.

raced a lad yesterday and he's running 272 on td04. This was on private land for those of you interested. either way it was really close and he did me every gear.change just because i was waiting for boost.

what options are out there that make good power and a good spool without shelling out for a garret?

Any other of the vf series?

Also have a race inlet which helps spool slightly. tempted to stick my td04 back on and settle for a bit less power but it be a lot more driveable??

Thanks

sam_glanz

Member +
I was running a 5e on a vf35 mate and I didn't find it had much lag at all mate, running 10mm dished pistons and 2mm cruise Hg? Between gear it had no lag?what spec is yours? Who mapped it?

matt walters

Member +
Same pistons with 1.2mm Athena. timed on 4e marks.

Wepr evolution mani and de cat. fmic etc race tech race inlet mani and mapped on emu by Ricky @racetech

sam_glanz

Member +
you running cams? How aggressive are they? When are you making full boost? What size rear housing is it mat?

Yes 10cc dished lol I got excited with mm about the Hg ha!

sam_glanz

Member +
I'm not running cams, and a standard inlet, same manifold ect, I'm making full boost by 4500rpm looking at an old dyno graph now, and there no lag at all between gears, I am a bit puzzled? iv sold that turbo now and I have a garret gt28rs, but I'm yet you use it, did you not manage to pull anything back of that td04 starlet through 3rd and 4th gear?

Rob H

Member +
wouldn't a bigger inlet mani make more lag not less?? if theres a lot more volume to fill? and you can lower the lag playing with the timing whats the timing set to? static and on the ECU?

sam_glanz

Member +
wouldn't a bigger inlet mani make more lag not less?? if theres a lot more volume to fill? and you can lower the lag playing with the timing whats the timing set to? static and on the ECU?

Iv always thought that having an inlet would increase lag as well but come into its own at the top end

Rob H

Member +
Thats the Idea in a big inlet, to flow more air but you have to fill it in the first place hence the lag, I think big inlets are over kill for every day cars even more so if lag is a concern. A smaller inlet will have some restriction hence it fills faster were any tests done on the dyno to see if there was any restrictions in the inlet and the exhaust, Cos thats what we will be doing with mine when tuning it as I am running a 4EFE intake and a Greddy TD05 16G!! If it was tuned on a dyno it would make sense to check this first before fitting the manifold, but not if ya selling it lol

goldenvtr

Member +
No cams mate.

Makes full at about 5k and Im unsure on rear housing

i though i had already replied on this post, ahwell lol, well im running the 5e markers,
it just dosnt seem logical to run 4e timing markers on a 5e engine lol

as a comparison i my 5e will hit 20 psi on a td05 16g at exactly 4270rpm with a CR of 7.5.1