Turbo Just Stoped?

JDubz

Member +
Arite guys here my little problem. I took my external wastegate off yesterday as i couldnt pass a WOF with one on. While it was off i got abit stupid, put my foot right down and hit 20psi BOOM! Intercooler pipe etc all blew off.

After putting everything back on the turbo system didnt run the same anymore. Id hear this screech and the car would be boosting, hear another screech and then the car wouldnt boost anything???

This noise stoped after a few days and turned into just a straight rattleing noise? Like somthing was loose in the manifold, or turbo etc?

Also the turbo has now FULLY STOPED WORKKING! It wont even spoil up anymore = NO BOOST. The turbine or what ever its called wont spin even sitting at idle.

Dose this sound like a turbo problem or? The engine itself is running perfect. Just i have no boost. Sound like ive blown the turbo? Also somtimes now i get this big wafff of white smoke when i take off every now and then.

Any help guys?

J25GTi

Lifer
So, you took the wastegate off, then tried to drive it?

You could have blown the entire engine!

Sounds like you may have siezed the turbo, take it off and have a look at it and try and spin it by hand....

Jesus, the EG is there for a reason, shouldn't be driven with out it at all!

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
What turbo is it? Most turbos I woulda though could handle a very breif blast at 20psi. But it does sound like the turbo has shit itself.

As has been said, get it off and see if you can spin it by hand and if there is alot of shaft play.

JDubz

Member +
Arite

I have already taken the turbo off. I have it off right now. I can spin the turbo by hand with no problems.

Its a TD05 so i dunno why it fucked itself up.

And the engine seems to be running fine?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
20psi for a TD05 is a light breeze. Dunno lad, is there any shaft play or oil in the exhaust side? I take it the ext gate is back on, maybe the fault is with it sticking open?

dunno lad I'll leave it for the experts :)

GlanzaMat

Member +
i suspect the shaft has snapped, so you can probably spin the compressor side but i suspect the exhaust side is fecked

if you've heard things rattling around in the manifold, that is probably shattered blades! - be careful!

JDubz

Member +
The

Shaft play is horozontil.

Do use think i should buy a new turbo or take it into the shop and see what they say first?

Bits have broken off the turbo as i can see the fins smashed. Would these broken metal bits be in my engine itself?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Shaft play is horozontil.

Do use think i should buy a new turbo or take it into the shop and see what they say first?

Bits have broken off the turbo as i can see the fins smashed. Would these broken metal bits be in my engine itself?

There'd be a fairly good chance the fins have gone through the engine or are still in the engine. Tough call if you should lift the head and look or not.

JDubz

Member +
Guess

My best bet is to get a new turbo see if the rattleing noise is still there and if so then take the head off etc?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
If the fins are broke on the comp wheel then they have most likely been sucked in, if their on the exhaust side theres prob no need to worry. Odd they broke on the TD05 though.

I'd just be worried for you if there's parts in the engine, running it could cause a serious mess.

It's all guessing though.

JDubz

Member +
Mhmmm

Very odd.

It was weird as the car would somtimes boost, then wouldnt boost.

Next thing the turbo just completly stoped and wouldnt boost at all then along came this rattleing sound that only got louder and louder.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
If it where me, I'd play it safe and strip er. Alot of hassel I know but could be the cheapest option in the long run.

But I'm no expert lad so don't go striping things just cause I say so, wait untill some of the more techy guys see this and get their opinoins.

dac69er

Super Moderator
mine did that when it was out of balance and worn the bearing so much that the compressor wheel rubbed on the housing and stopped the turbo dead.

pumped loads of oily smoke out when that happened though

keirz

Member +
will most probably be due to overspeeding mate. the shaft and compwheel are both burst tested to certain speeds. due to the exsess heat created they start to expand and warp which would cause it to catch on the housings and compressor back plate, which lead to it seizing up, shaft snaping or fins giving way. i would say you definatly need a new turbo.

Starbus

Member +
There'd be a fairly good chance the fins have gone through the engine or are still in the engine. Tough call if you should lift the head and look or not.

I've never seen fins from a turbo go through an engine, they usually break into VERY small pieces or just a light dust.

If there are big chunks they've get stuck in the intercooler.

Back to the problem, without smoke it doesn't sound like you've blown the turbo. It sounds like you still have a boost leak from somewhere, you've probably overspun the turbo a bit in trying to get it to boost.

But check all the rubber joiners, then check them again :) I'm 90% sure this is your problem from what you've described. Overspinning turbo's under boost normally gives you end to end play and lots of smoke.

Edit; the loud rattling noise is probably the boost pipe hitting the chassis somewhere, so give the boost pipes a wobble first should be easier to locate the problem.

Last edited:

keirz

Member +
^^ he said he can see the fins are smashed though.

a failed overspeeded turbo can seize up and have parts give way without causing bearing damaged or the seals going. so wouldt nessaraly have play or smoke

Starbus

Member +
^^ he said he can see the fins are smashed though.

a failed overspeeded turbo can seize up and have parts give way without causing bearing damaged or the seals going. so wouldt nessaraly have play or smoke

The fins could have been damaged for some time.

I've never seen a turbo fail without smoke unless a foreign object has been through it and I probably see 1 per week.

If the shaft breaks, you get smoke.
If the thrust wears (most common 1 for overboosting) you get end to end play and smoke.
Normal bearing (up down play) you get smoke as the ring seals won't last long.

Is the shaft siezed solid? I.e. won't spin freely? I read it like it still spin's which obviously rules out it been siezed.