Turbo not spooling/boosting

huwr

Member +
Earlier today I heard a worryingly large whoosh/bang followed by an instant loss in power. My car now doesn't even reach 0 boost.

I have checked all boost/vacuum lines, intercooler pipes and "p" clips and can't see any obvious leaks. I've removed the air filter ducting and the turbo spins freely with no traces of oil or dirt.

The car has also got a horrible new rattle, any ideas what else I should check?

thanks

CMR

Member +
Actuator still connected to the wastegate? Is there a high pitched whine when you try to boost?

huwr

Member +
Actuator looks ok and moves freely. There is no noise when it should be boosting , like you'd expect from a big air leak if thats what you mean?

huwr

Member +
HKS EVC, but there's the same problem with boost controller on or with a vacuum pipe between the turbo and actuator pressure ports.

CMR

Member +
What I meant is when the actuator is disconnected it can move ok, its not seized :p

When you took it off, did you try moving the wastegate arm? Just wondering whether the gate flap itself has snapped clean for whatever reason meaning no pressure can be made.

All ideas off the top of my head, someone else may have a better answer though... i doubt its I/c piping as you would hear the whine of air leaking especially if you have no boost at all.

jam

Member +
Got same problem before its a fuck Turbo can be cut axle or stuck Turbo remove your turbo inlet pipe and have a look if its spin or not.

huwr

Member +
I've removed the air filter ducting and the turbo spins freely with no traces of oil or dirt, there's no play in the turbo "axle" either.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
I've removed the air filter ducting and the turbo spins freely with no traces of oil or dirt, there's no play in the turbo "axle" either.

drop off the downpipe mate and take a look... sounds like wastegate or boost poped a pipe

Glanza Gaz

Member +
Just guessing but you havent got a bent or broken turbo fin have you on either side. Would explain the woosh, bang and new rattle. Also how is the exhaust manifold looking?

smythy75

Member +
Earlier today I heard a worryingly large whoosh/bang followed by an instant loss in power. My car now doesn't even reach 0 boost.

I have checked all boost/vacuum lines, intercooler pipes and "p" clips and can't see any obvious leaks. I've removed the air filter ducting and the turbo spins freely with no traces of oil or dirt.

The car has also got a horrible new rattle, any ideas what else I should check?

thanks

what boost u running and on what internals, new rattle cud be from the bottom end!

Peter