Turbo to Decat Issue

OK - So when I fitted my decat about a year ago it was leaking a bit of gas, so regually I checked the nuts and somtimes they were loose, so I would tighten them up..

No I had a look today as I normally do - and no only have 2 of the nuts gone missing, the actuall Stud that bolts onto is missing aswell - I was under the impression that these were welded into the turbo??

Well Im at a loss of what to do here, If i just get studs and nuts, wont they just come loose again? and I looked for these at toyota, but couldnt see them in the EPC - Is it time for a new turbo? lol

Any suggestions welcome, I can get pics if you need a laugh!

Thanks

Ollie

Gtstu

Member +
the studs come out easily when i fitted mine 3 studs came out with the nuts.I just replaced them and put some different nuts on it.

Monkfish

Member +
The studs are removable. They are fully threaded and will screw into the turbo, but also allow a nut to be threaded onto them. Sometimes the nut becomes stiff and rather than unscrewing itself off the stud, it simply unscrews the stud out of the turbo.

You should be able to get a new set from Toyota. When you do get more studs, tighten them up as much as you can by hand, then screw on two nuts. You can then tighten the nuts against each other using two spanners and then tighten the stud into the turbo using the outer nut. Undo the nuts, repeat on the other 3 as necessary, then refit the decat and tighten the nuts back on. To prevent them coming off again, you can tighten two nuts onto each stud as described above to stop them undoing.

Don't use Nyloc nuts, they melt. :homer:

Last edited:

Sparky

Member +
As above ^^

But how are your nuts always undoing? You got a flexi piece in your exhaust system?

Mine used to undo the nuts in the bottom of the decat but not the top.

Got a flexi piece put in and jobs a good un :)

Good advice Monkfish!!.. Will look at doing that, rep coming your way shortly!!..

Sparky, well the decat is braced and I have a flexi section on my exaust.. I live in an area thats quite bumpy and the way i go to work goes past farm land and the likes (also bumpy) so could be that every day!!!

Monkfish, do you have the part numbers for the studs? Ive got the part numbers for the Nuts already!

Cheers guys!!

Beaker

Member +
My decat bolts used to undo themselves aswell. Once I changed the manifold and gave them all a real good tightening, they have stayed done up.

Monkfish

Member +
But how are your nuts always undoing? You got a flexi piece in your exhaust system?
Sparky, well the decat is braced and I have a flexi section on my exaust.. I live in an area thats quite bumpy and the way i go to work goes past farm land and the likes (also bumpy) so could be that every day!!!
Engine vibration mostly, although bumpy roads and the exhaust system swinging around without a flexi could also add to the problem.

my decat studs are fine, but my manifold to turbo flange nuts keep coming loose.
I forgot to add to my post about tightening the studs into the turbo that a drop of thread lock on the studs should help to prevent them undoing through vibration. You could try the same? I wouldn't put too much on incase you need to take the turbo off again, last thing you want is a stuck nut at the back of the turbo, they're a pain in the shitter to get to (although I've had the turbo off mine 5 times now for various reasons, so I'm getting good at it. :p)

Monkfish

Member +
The ones that are like a star shape???

Yup. Although I used mine more than once before they kept falling off. I have some big manly looking nuts on there now rather than those poncey looking star ones. :homer:

(They don't fall off either)

Monkfish

Member +
Couldn't tell you, I raided my Dad's shed for random nuts and bolts and found a tin with a shedload that fitted. :haha:

starlet666

Member +
i would say go to a nut and bolt shop with one of the studs and get what they call a cone lock nut.... like a nylock but the inner thread has a slight taper and is tighter at the top... used them on all of my studs and got no problems whatso ever

starlet666

Member +
u would have to use a medium compound at least so it resists the heat a little... some systems get over 800 degrees when pushed hard