Turbo'd and Itbs??

Jules-B

Member +
Hi all

This is not for the starlet!, but for another project i am going to start soon.

I keep telling myself its possible to turbo an engine and run itbs on it aswell?.
but then again another part of me says no, you cant do it.

Surely it should work?, as the itbs have a box above them that connects to an air filter, surely you would just plumb in the intercooler pipe here?

Jules

59bhp

Member +
yeah course you can,

r34 skyline gtr had individual throttle bodies, depends on your application as to wether its worth it or not

Jules-B

Member +
i was going through a mind block. of course the r34 has them!.
Application is going to be a Nissan 350z.
so the 3.5 litre v6, forged, twin turbo with top secret itbs:)

Rory

Lifer
Anyhting can be done with. ;)
Time and effort is the main thing.

As long as the throttle boddies are sealed units, ie: butterfly shafts etc, then they can be no problem.

Jules-B

Member +
Yeah sounds like another dream i know, but ive just embarked on a new buisness venture that should see me enough money to do this properly.and to have it all by June time....and to finally have a car with serious power, and some comfort.

Chris, ill take you out in it when its done definatly!..
here is the kit people!...Do you think ITBS would give any noticable gain with the turbo kit??

vq35itbx.jpg

Rory

Lifer
Ah, good luck with the venture.

If i were you i wouldnt want to cover them up, they look to good..... At least put them on the mantel peice before doing it! :p

Timmy

Member +
Itb's will give almost zero gains on a turbo engine, possibly the last thing to do when makeing the unltimate fi engine.

bimboy

Member +
Well to be honest it sounds good looks good, but it is really not that good. The throttle per cylinder intake system is top notch in NA applications, but much less so when it comes to turbo charging. Factory nissan T. P. C set ups work okay I guess but many GTIR owners complain of bad idling and big horse power set ups offen remove the throttles and use a cutom manifold. If you check the Rigolies from down under they turbo charged a 20v 4age and removed the throttles. :confused:
There is also the issue of sealing it is almost always a case of a custom box as most Na kits wont have a box large enough to meet V.E requirements as the box must be roughly 175% of the engines capacity to be efficent.

I can't be certain but I think I read that turbo charged T.P.C applications also have a problem with the butterflies closing at certain boost pressures but don't argue that point not to sure, just throwing it out in case any body knows more about it.

But to be honest it does look good. :haha:

Dan3SGTE

Member +
So let me get this straight, you will have to have an intercooler pipe coming off each throttle bodie then obviously welding it into the one pipe going to the intercooler? Or have a custom box at the top of the throttle bodies with one cooler pipe going to the intercooler??

I personally cannot see how this would be a really good idea.... A twin turbo set up alone on that 3.5 litre engine would gain you all the power you will need..... For the cost of getting all that set up i cant see the point?

Rory

Lifer
Or have a custom box at the top of the throttle bodies with one cooler pipe going to the intercooler??

I personally cannot see how this would be a really good idea.... A twin turbo set up alone on that 3.5 litre engine would gain you all the power you will need..... For the cost of getting all that set up i cant see the point?

Edited your reply for the first part.

I think its a good idea. It certainly diffirent, so all good from me.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Edited your reply for the first part.

I think its a good idea. It certainly diffirent, so all good from me.

ahhh cool....

Well i would certainly like to see a before and after installation result... Definitely interesting....

nexia201

Member +
you can do one plenium with runners going to every throttle body , it should be better than having one throttle for 6 cylinders and i cant see the buttteflies having a problem closing with the boost as it woulld happen on every turbo application.

Jules-B

Member +
hmm i can see what people mean, although it would appear that they have mounted both the turbo kit, and the itbs to an engine.

will try and find the pics.