Twin scroll turbo set up

Johnny_C

Lifer
Hey folks
Wondering has anyone tried a twin scroll on a 4e/5e?
I know it would involve a custom mani etc ,just interested to see if it's been done or attempted?
Cheers

dac69er

Super Moderator
closest ive seen is a lad fitting 2 ct9s. each running off 2 cylinders each. I don't think it was very successful.

Phil

Super Moderator
Wires crossed there lol

think ECC have a twinscroll VF43(?) or such like for sale or at least i seen a comment from John about it somewhere.

Guess you would just need a manifold made to fit, and see what happens :)

Phil

5e colin

Member +
@ dac69er

i actually think that it wil out perform a td04 at a bar ?? double the cfm , when build with 1and2 joining and 3and4 joining to keep spool up with a rev limit of 8k i can see this perform very well at a bar probly wont be boostin till 3500rpm ????

edit : theres the other option to to just leave all 4 feed the 1 ct9 and use the 1st ct9 exhaust gasses to spin the 2cnd 1 ???

Last edited:

02emichan

Member +
@ dac69er

i actually think that it wil out perform a td04 at a bar ?? double the cfm , when build with 1and2 joining and 3and4 joining to keep spool up with a rev limit of 8k i can see this perform very well at a bar probly wont be boostin till 3500rpm ????

edit : theres the other option to to just leave all 4 feed the 1 ct9 and use the 1st ct9 exhaust gasses to spin the 2cnd 1 ???

this is what im in the middle off atm im using ct9 to spool up a td04 just truing to make room to fit things so usage ct9 to 1bar then let the td04 o the rest but hopefully with no lag or very minimal

Johnny_C

Lifer
@ dac69er

how can you say it will out perform a td04 when you have to rev it to 8k to get the most from it?
Seriously?

this is what im in the middle off atm im using ct9 to spool up a td04 just truing to make room to fit things so usage ct9 to 1bar then let the td04 o the rest but hopefully with no lag or very minimal

What?!
That's overkill!td04s don't have lag worth talking about!

5e colin

Member +
u wont have to rev to 8 k to get the max out of it dont twist my words ( no offence johny ) it would do at stock limit to but its an option

and when u feed 1 tru the other it will spool like stock to the limiter with the double cfm if u want then raise the limiter to take more advantage off it

mayby now u get what i mean ???

Phil

Super Moderator
and when u feed 1 tru the other it will spool like stock to the limiter with the double cfm if u want then raise the limiter to take more advantage off it

one through other would be compound charging surely? and therefore not double CFM.

Phil

5e colin

Member +
why wont it double phill ???? if the exhaust side from turbo 1 feeds nr2 exhaust intake then the 2 pipes from both compressors going to the front mount joined in 1 pipe i still see this as 2x cfm both ct9 will be producing there own cfm ???????

Phil

Super Moderator
why wont it double phill ???? if the exhaust side from turbo 1 feeds nr2 exhaust intake then the 2 pipes from both compressors going to the front mount joined in 1 pipe i still see this as 2x cfm both ct9 will be producing there own cfm ???????

your not wrong there.. its too late to work out what i was think, but ill revisit this thread tomorrow for some more spit balling.

Phil

Johnny_C

Lifer
u wont have to rev to 8 k to get the max out of it dont twist my words ( no offence johny ) it would do at stock limit to but its an option

Sorry Colin i misread what you were saying.
Not interested in a twin turbo set up at all,just curious on the twin scrolls.
Thanks

i found twin scroll only really has an effect on large pulse engines running large turbochargers.

I tried doing twin scroll GT2860rs on a 3sgte and made very little difference. Even the factory twin scroll CT26/CT20b turbos on the factory mr2's you can run them single scroll and again makes very little difference.

Yet you run twin scroll vs single scroll on something like a GT4088 on a supra you'll notice the difference. Not night and day but worth doing if you have the ability. On a glanza i wouldn't bother.

Tim
TB Developments