Tyres hitting the guards... options?

MWP

Member +
Hi all,

I have 195/50/15's all round on my EP82.
Recently new suspension went in which consists of Koni Yellow dampers and King Spring low springs.

On a level road, at normal car weight there is approx a 1" gap between the top of the tyre and the guard.

Occasionally during very hard cornering or when there is weight in the car, the tyres (both front and back) are scrubbing on the guards which is taking decent size chunks of rubber out of the shoulders of the tyres.

What are my options for fixing this?

Thanks!

Julian-ep91

Member +
they must be hitting your metal wheel arches as if they were rubbing on the platic splashh guards it wouldnt take chunks out the tyres, get your arches rolled

MWP

Member +
It is already very stiff... when i say hard cornering, i mean over 1G.

I thought the guards couldnt be rolled due to the plastic shields and stuff that screw to the inside of them?

dac69er

Super Moderator
get an adjustable panhard rod to align the rear correctly.

for the front try and bend the bracket parts where the screws are up, this worked for mine. just moved them up enough to stop them scrubbing the wheels.

MWP

Member +
Put the bump stops back in...
I never scrubed the tyres when i was running the Koni's.

Im running Koni racing bumpstops on the front and original bumpstops on the rear.

get an adjustable panhard rod to align the rear correctly.
for the front try and bend the bracket parts where the screws are up, this worked for mine. just moved them up enough to stop them scrubbing the wheels.

The rear scrapes on both sides (depends which side is under load), so an adj panhard rod wont help :(

Ill give bending up the bracket bits a go... thanks.

weeJohn

Lifer
Whats the ET off your wheels, the offset I mean?

Mine are 40 and they will scuff sometimes over big bumps.

y3Lo

Member +
i had the same problem, had the arches ground and also i run 45 profile tyres now. helped a lot, also you should get a panhard rod 2

dac69er

Super Moderator
38 offset seems to best for not scrubbing tbh. had it super low at the back once and it never scrubbed once.