Upgrading steering rack.

VXR230BHP

Member +
Can anyone tell me do i need to change the steering colum when fitting a power steering rack ? I was told that the complete steering colum from the NON power steering rack just bolts onto the ep82 power steering rack ???

dac69er

Super Moderator
i cant see it being different. there is just a splined UJ that connects the input shaft to the rack to the column.

VXR230BHP

Member +
Thanks !!! the splined peice has a bolts through it ! is this the part which you loosen to removed from the colum ?

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
my starlet has power steeing but i wanted to remove it so i fitted just the non pas rack but the universal joint isnt long enough to fit the pas column. if you want to swap from non pas to pas i imagine you would need to swap the whole setup, column and racks

dac69er

Super Moderator
my starlet has power steeing but i wanted to remove it so i fitted just the non pas rack but the universal joint isnt long enough to fit the pas column. if you want to swap from non pas to pas i imagine you would need to swap the whole setup, column and racks

can you not just fit a longer uj or is there a big difference in length?

pc18

dont know about a longer uj. i cant remember the difference in length now ( it wasnt that much maybe a couple of inches) it was ages ago when i was messing about with it. i tried the non pas and pas uj joint but it didnt work with either of them. i thought about cutting the steering column and sleeving it to extend it but in the end i couldnt be bothered and refitted the pas.

so if i wanted to fit the non pas rack i needed to get hold of a steering column off a non pas car, unfortunately this had already been removed from the car i got the non pas rack from.

dac69er

Super Moderator
that is strange as the stub that come through the bulkhead from the rack that you connect the uj on it pretty damn short anyway. wouldnt have thought it would be very far out at all!!!!

pc18

if your really interested mate i will be having a good clear out in the garage in a few weeks hopefully and i can ratch it out and get a pic showing the stub if you like.