uprated actuator problems

ian.mcintoshi

Member +
hey

i just fitted my hks actuator today, went well got it fited fine and correctly.
ive read that in order to adjust the boost to wat u want, u turn the arm so that its as short as possible and still able to reach the wastegate, then test it.
u can then make the arm longer to increase boost and then test again...so on and so fourth til u get watever boost u want.

is this the correct method????

the reason i ask is coz i used this method bt on my very first test it shot all the way up to one bar! and this was with gentle acceleration... i dont know wat boost it will go to as im not prepared to put my foot to th floor and potentially blow the engine( as im sure u can undersatnd) so im really confused!!!

wats even more confusing is ive got a hks fcd bt i havent fited it yet, and the boost shot way beyond fuel cut??????? it doesnt make sense to me.

all this is being carried out under normall fueling aswell which make the problem worse.

sory for the huge story bt can anyone help pleeez????

thanx

ian.mcintoshi

Member +
i thot that u couldnt do it that way... i mean with using a ruler to preset wat boost u want.

does it not have to be done with trial and error????

Shorty

Member +
with regards to fuel cut i belive some will get a sharp drop in power like hitting a brick wall or your speed cut and others will just get the engine light come on, iirc. so that maybe why you made it to a bar without any violent jerk from the car.

ian.mcintoshi

Member +
with regards to fuel cut i belive some will get a sharp drop in power like hitting a brick wall or your speed cut and others will just get the engine light come on, iirc. so that maybe why you made it to a bar without any violent jerk from the car.

my engine light did come on for a split second then went off again when i slowed a bit, so i think ur rite. if thats the case then why do i need a fcd??? cant imagine it wud be just to stop a light comin on in my dash?

Shorty

Member +
the car will then be running lean wich will fook the engine after long enough, my car does the same no jerk ect just the engine light as i run at .8 and fuel cut is .85 so on a cold day when the air is dense it can hit fuel cut but i run at .5 on cold days and wet weather :D

ian.mcintoshi

Member +
the car will then be running lean wich will fook the engine after long enough, my car does the same no jerk ect just the engine light as i run at .8 and fuel cut is .85 so on a cold day when the air is dense it can hit fuel cut but i run at .5 on cold days and wet weather :D

rite... i think i understand:haha: would a fpr not stop it running lean tho?

Shorty

Member +
fcd allows the car to run above standard fuel cut (.85 bar of boost) so you use that to set a new safe fuel level so the ecu understands the fueling has rissen, you would then use the rrfpr (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) to adjust the fuel going into the engine, one is electronic (fcd) the other the mechanicl (rrfpr) both need to be used to prevent damage to the engine when runing higher boost levels :D

ian.mcintoshi

Member +
fcd allows the car to run above standard fuel cut (.85 bar of boost) so you use that to set a new safe fuel level so the ecu understands the fueling has rissen, you would then use the rrfpr (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) to adjust the fuel going into the engine, one is electronic (fcd) the other the mechanicl (rrfpr) both need to be used to prevent damage to the engine when runing higher boost levels :D

cool man, i have both bt was just wondering lol.

rep will be given.:)

Fro

Member +
When fitting mine i had the actuator pin level with the wastegate when the gate was fully closed then shortened it a couple turns and this made 0.5 bar but i believe there are some factors to consider? When I was looking for how to fit, people were saying one car may differ from the next.
My actuator bracket had a step in it so depending on what way the step went would have meant fairly increasing the arm length.

Hope that made some sense! :homer:

ian.mcintoshi

Member +
When fitting mine i had the actuator pin level with the wastegate when the gate was fully closed then shortened it a couple turns and this made 0.5 bar but i believe there are some factors to consider? When I was looking for how to fit, people were saying one car may differ from the next.
My actuator bracket had a step in it so depending on what way the step went would have meant fairly increasing the arm length.

Hope that made some sense! :homer:

:haha: yeah tdoes. chears for all the replys lads:)