URGENT HELP NEEDED - N/S Full beam MOT failure.

Tony Harrison

Member +
My car failed its MOT today on this little problem.

The n/s full beam will not come on altho the drivers side does. Bothe sides work on dip beam.

It is NOT the light bulb, i replaced both the day before the MOT, didnt check them tho, just presumed it would work as it often does.

Also I have checked both fuse boxes but the fuses are all still intact.

Can anybody please help me out? Im meant to be up at Nick Jones' this Saturday, so need a pretty quick remedy.

Rep given if right comment solves it.

Ty

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
it might sound stupid but is the bulb clipped in properly? i have replaced bulbs in my starlet before and a brand new bulb stopped working after about a day!

weakboy2

Member +
check the connection, if thats a no go you will have to trace the wire back for voltage, see if there is a break in the wire somewhere or something

Guye

Lifer
I know you said it's not the light bulb but have you taken the bulb out and checked to see if the high beam filament is blown yet? It's made by man afterall.

danturbo4311

Member +
Why not try the bulb in other side & see if it works that way you can rule out if its the bulb or not if it does work on the otherside then you no you have faulty connection in the wire & you will need to use a multi meter to see if you get any voltage from the wires & go from there, if it doesnt work then you could swap the bulbs over & if the o/s bulb works in the n/s then you no its the bulb.

Tony Harrison

Member +
Its DEFO NOT the bulb. I put two brand new ones in before the MOT, and as far as i can tell all the fuses are ok.

As in I have checked every one, will do again to make sure, but other than a simple bulb or fuse, does anyone else have an idea?

Cheers

Tanz

Lifer
Have you taken out the bulb and tried it on the other side??

You may be very certain that it is not the bulb but unless you check you cant be 100%

it has happened to me before....

Tony Harrison

Member +
My car failed its MOT today on this little problem.

The n/s full beam will not come on altho the drivers side does. Bothe sides work on dip beam.

It is NOT the light bulb, i replaced both the day before the MOT, didnt check them tho, just presumed it would work as it often does.

Also I have checked both fuse boxes but the fuses are all still intact.

Can anybody please help me out? Im meant to be up at Nick Jones' this Saturday, so need a pretty quick remedy.

Rep given if right comment solves it.

Ty

So that statement says I have replaced the n/s bulb that I thought was causing the fault. I replaced that one, the n/s one, and the o/s one also with two NEW ones. OK. I also mentioned I didnt check them as I thought it would be solved, simple problem a high beam failure, you would just assume its the filament, so it went to the MOT station. I forgot to mention the new bulbs to him, why would I? As far as i was concerned, a new bulb rectified it. He then tells me its failed on...you guessed it, n/s high beam aint there. He then tells me he put another H4 in because he thought it would just be the bulb. I tell him my story and he cant find the fault.

So including the so called failed bulb originally, my car has had one old H4 and 2 NEW bulbs on that side, and we all think it still the goddamn bulb!! How many new bulbs must we swap over and check to verify that its not the bulb filament? Personally I think 2 is quite suffice.

Japsport85

Member +
just had the same problem with mine m8, turned out the earth on the switch had a poor connection and melted itself. easy fix.

HAVE YOU CHECKED THE BULB?! lol, jokin m8 :)

the negative terminal on the plug switches to a from a negative to a postitve when changing onto high beam...

Last edited:

Tony Harrison

Member +
just had the same problem with mine m8, turned out the earth on the switch had a poor connection and melted itself. easy fix.

HAVE YOU CHECKED THE BULB?! lol, jokin m8 :)

Is that on the stalk you talking about?

Any pics you could post up and show me whereabouts if ya know,

Cheers

Japsport85

Member +
when i checked mine the plug on the back of he switch the earth wire had melted due to a poor connection. before checking this tho i tested if i had power and earth on the plugs that go onto the bulbs. when the lights wre off all 3 terminals are positive. on dip beam 2 of them stay positive and one changes to negative. when turned onto main beam. one of the positives switches to a negative. i tested this without the bulbs in and all worked ok and i couldnt work it out. i pluged the bulbs in and they did no illuminate. so i checked the plugs again and there was no earth as it wasnt a good enough earth to power up the bulb.

sorry if its not very easy to make sense of :confused:

unfortunatly dnt have pics m8, sorry.

Tony Harrison

Member +
What wire is the earth wire then?

Just had a look at the plug from the stalk and well tbh I couldn't fathom it out. There weren't any melted wires so to speak, and its really starting to pain me that a little electrical fault is stopping me driving.

Cheers

GTnomez

Member +
Sometimes my headlight doesnt work and it was down to a loose connection.

I had to wriggle the wire about that connects to the plug and it came on but when i moved it, it went off.

Sure its not a loose connect on the plug?

You tried new bulbs?

Last edited:

zengetsu_666

Fresh Recruit
had the same problem

got the o/s side working but can't get n/s to work tried every single bulb but none fit the quad light fitting at the back had the hb3/9005 hb4/9006 does anyone know were to get bulbs for these