!!!!!!!URGENT !!!!!!! Starting when i put ignition on

rwdrev

Member +
Someone pleeeeeeeaaaasssseeee HELP!!!!!

Got the engine ready to start this afty but its going terribly wtong and nearly crying and at the point of smashing it up (inc the bonnet, Fro)

I put the battery back on it and its nearly flat, but it would just light up the ignition lights. So i put another battery to it with jump leads and went to turn the ignition on and it started to fire up. :-\:-\:-\

I have just fitted emu to it, the light flicks on then straight off whilst its doing this funky buisness, but when you turn the key to start it stops the starter.

Have i somehow fried the emu, or have i connected something up wrong? I am away to unplug emu and try again

Rory

Lifer
Something is a miss with the wiring to the Starter.. Double check all of the wiring loom in and around there.

rwdrev

Member +
Tryed it again without emu and its same. I was thinking i may of wired the starter and alternator wrong, but they have differnt size terminals.

rwdrev

Member +
yeah, but thats working like before, and i havnt touched anything like that. starter and alt is deffo wired up right, at most, all i have done is removed the unwanted air con plugs, just by cutting the plugs off and shortened the wires, taped the ends and then wrapped back into the loom. i could try taking the timer out. Could ther be a problem with the ignition switch?

triple j

Member +
unplug the turbo timer and check, i had a dodgy turbo timer before and when i went to take out the key it would start the starter up so it had to go.

rwdrev

Member +
Its not the turbo timer, cos thats just been amputated. Tryed kno kn the startdr with little hammer, still the same. Could the starter solanoid be stuck in the firing position with it beem sat for 6months?

Texx

Super Moderator
I put the battery back on it and its nearly flat, but it would just light up the ignition lights. So i put another battery to it with jump leads and went to turn the ignition on and it started to fire up. :-\:-\:-\

Don't quite get what your trying to say?!

Does the engine crank over or does nothing happen?

Have you tried a good charged battery in the car (without using jump leads)?

rwdrev

Member +
Not tryed a charged battery on it yet, still using the jump leads onto another battery. Will charge the car battery this afternoon. I did wonder about the barrel, cos its coming live as soon as the ignition is turned on.

Texx, when i put the key in and turn it to the 2nd click to bring up the ignition lights, the starter engages, but when you turn the key to "start" it kills the starter. So when ignition is turned on the starter gets a perminate live.

Had the starter apart, cleaned up the terminals and no differnt.

Mark, u got a barrel?

Texx

Super Moderator
when i put the key in and turn it to the 2nd click to bring up the ignition lights, the starter engages, but when you turn the key to "start" it kills the starter. So when ignition is turned on the starter gets a perminate live.

Its not the turbo timer, cos thats just been amputated.

Might want to go and double check your 'amputated' wiring then.

weeJohn

Lifer
This is going to sound stupid, but disconnect the fan at the plug and see if it still does it. If it does, your earth at the front wing is not connected properly. The fan earth shares the same connection at the starter, if the fan switch is telling the fan to run, and it doesnt get an earth there, it passes through the starter to another earth, thus powering up the starter.

Last edited:

rwdrev

Member +
All the cut wires have been wrapped and ok. I will try the earths tomorrow after i try another ignition switch. Found a little bit of plastic boke, so wont be helping. I hope it is just an earth. Gonna have to get another battery, its not taking a charge

rwdrev

Member +
This is going to sound stupid, but disconnect the fan at the plug and see if it still does it. If it does, your earth at the front wing is not connected properly. The fan earth shares the same connection at the starter, if the fan switch is telling the fan to run, and it doesnt get an earth there, it passes through the starter to another earth, thus powering up the starter.

WOOOHOOO!!!! weejohn i could shag you!!! disconnected the fan, cleaned up some earths and it worked as it should, then found that i hadnt put the earth cable on behind the passenger head light. I can now put the digger away!! lol. i will have to go fit the turbo timer and dash again. tomorrow nights job. :):):)

Last edited by a moderator:

weeJohn

Lifer
I did exactly the same thing on one of the conversions I did for Trevor. Fuck off that cant be it was the response from the people in the garage lol.

Your fan must be running all the time mate, it could be a plug off the switch just.