Using a plug and play ecu

cameroon95

Member +
Hi all, just received my sard ecu from carlington(cheers mate-fast delivery:cool:).

Looking at installing it over the weekend but i have a few queries first.

After the ecu is installed, should i take it easy as it learns?
How long after its installed should i get my afr checked?

I'm going to be running stock boost when first installed.

cheers

should have trimmed to suit by around 100 miles.

I would get it checked by 200 to make sure it has trimmed to suit safely. Although I would invest in a wideband yourself and you can constantly monitor them for free, and when you factor in the cost of having it checked, probably almost pays for the wideband itself.

cameroon95

Member +
should have trimmed to suit by around 100 miles.

I would get it checked by 200 to make sure it has trimmed to suit safely. Although I would invest in a wideband yourself and you can constantly monitor them for free, and when you factor in the cost of having it checked, probably almost pays for the wideband itself.

Cheers cat, does make sense to perhaps get a wideband. I'll look into this after the new year most likely, would be great if only for the convenience of checking it when i want.Nothing like having peace of mind :)

I found those "self learning" ecu's pretty good, well the Jam one I had from Arron seemed to make a nice difference in my opinion.

Totally agree though mate, better safe than sorry really. And it's probably the same cost anyway so win win :) And get it from Ebay from the states, only like 130 or something like that.

Texx

Super Moderator
The ECU will only learn fuel trim and the ignition curve when in closed loop mode. So the best thing to do is try and drive the car without using full throttle as that will switch the ECU into open loop mode and the ECU will not update it's base fuel or ignition settings.

As suggested, I would think 100 miles would be ample time for the ECU to make any required adjustments, but it would still be best to have the full throttle, full boost AFR checked after you fit the ECU. I'm sure you might get the urge at some point to put your foot down.

cameroon95

Member +
cheers for the help lads. Just thinking whether i should get an aftermarket fuel pump or not before this is fitted.

I'm gonna try and take it easy for the full 100 and probably a bit more.

Rory

Lifer
Terry are you sure you have not got the open and closed around the wrong way?

Closed being run from the tables, open from the lambda control?

Cameroon - If your worried, i have a wideband that could be used to check, or even Mark has one and he is closer to home for you.
Fuel pump shouldnt be needed for anything under 1 bar. :)

Texx

Super Moderator
In closed loop, the ECU makes corrections from input sensors such as O2, ECT, IAT, KNK etc.. and from these corrections it updates it's basic learned values. When the ECU goes into open loop such as warm-up and WOT conditions the ECU basis it's calculations on it's learned values.

Short Fuel Trim is a temporary correction to fuel delivery which changes with every cycle of the oxygen sensor. Under normal conditions, it fluctuates rapidly around its ideal value of 0% correction and is only functional during closed loop operation.

Long Fuel Trim is a data parameter on the OBD data stream. It is a more permanent correction to fuel delivery because it is part of the basic injection duration calculation. Long FT changes slowly, in response to Short FT. Its normal range is ± 20%, positive values indicating rich correction and negative values indicating lean correction.

If Short FT deviates significantly from ± 10% for too long, the Long FT shifts, changing the basic injection duration. This shift in basic injection duration should bring Short FT back to the ± 10% range.

Unlike Short FT which effects injection duration calculation in closed loop only, the Long FT correction factor effects the basic injection duration calculation in open and closed loop. Because Long FT is stored in a nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) and is not erased when the ignition is switched off, the fuel system is able to correct for variances in engine and fuel conditions even during warm-up and wide open throttle conditions.

The above relates to fuel correction, but the ECU also does a similar thing with the ignition curve using the short term corrections from the knock sensor to update it's basic ignition curve. Spark advance correction is operational during both open and closed loop modes.

Last edited:

cameroon95

Member +
Terry are you sure you have not got the open and closed around the wrong way?

Closed being run from the tables, open from the lambda control?

Cameroon - If your worried, i have a wideband that could be used to check, or even Mark has one and he is closer to home for you.
Fuel pump shouldnt be needed for anything under 1 bar. :)

cheers rory, i'm pretty cautious with most things in my car. Havn't went over stock boost since ownership:p, i'll most likely give mark a shout after the intial learning period.:)

cameroon95

Member +
Just thought i'd give a quick update on this. I've done approx 100 miles, so i put the foot down a bit on the way to work. :p

Must say she pulls quite a bit more now, very noticable in 3rd. So i'm quite chuffed, going to do another 100 then get fueling checked to make sure all is well.

Just thought i'd give a quick update on this. I've done approx 100 miles, so i put the foot down a bit on the way to work. :p

Must say she pulls quite a bit more now, very noticable in 3rd. So i'm quite chuffed, going to do another 100 then get fueling checked to make sure all is well.

ace thats good that its working ok