valve guide oil seals, asap!

Japsport85

Member +
come to reassemble my head, got a guenuine gasket set from toyota, theres 8 silver valve guide oil seals and 8 gold ones. look exactly the same but i would imagine that one has a higher temp range and i need to know what ones go on the inlet side and exhauset side, unfortunatley i took the old seals out and didnt pay much attention to see if they were different about a month ago before sending my head off :homer:

any info wil be repped :)

thanks.

brownish/redish valve stem seals on the intake side

grayish valve stem seals on the exhaust side.

and i'm referring to the external color on the seals

(took that from an old tread i made)

Last edited:

Japsport85

Member +
thanks mate, ended up phoning toyota in the end, they told me the silver/grey ones go on the inlet side and the gold'ish ones go on he exhaust side so have assembled it as they'v advised.

thanks for your help anyway, repped as said, cheers m8.

Japsport85

Member +
very ineresting thread mate. iv put the silver ones on the inlet so will let you know if its wrong but appears it doesnt make much difference?

thanks again.

Texx

Super Moderator
From the 5E manual:

Valve Stem Oil Seals

Intake valve stem oil seal is Brown, and exhaust valve stem oil seal is Black. Lubricate valve stem oil seal with engine oil. Install valve stem oil seal using suitable diameter socket.

The EPC lists the same intake and exhaust valve stem oil seal part numbers for the 4E-FE, 4E-FTE, 5E-FE and 5E-FHE.