VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR (error code 42)

jcq8300

Fresh Recruit
hi all the expert.... need help from you guyz.. my 4e turbo engine(COME FROM EP82) got 'check engine' problem. after doing the diagnosis, the 42(vehicle speed sensor) error code displyed.. the problem is... 1.where is the location for the sensor, 2.how to solve the check engine problem?:confused::confused:
tq

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Speedo cable should be going into the back of the clocks and another into the gearbox.
On the ECU i think its a light green wire for the RPM,have a look for frayed wires etc.

To clear the code just unplug the ecu for 30 odd seconds and then plug it back in,not sure why it came up as check engine though.

jcq8300

Fresh Recruit
thanks a lot, fyi my speedo not tally between my apexi RSM .example 100km/h(RSM), but speedo only 94km/h. is that the cause of the error code? or should i replace the new meter? or replace the new cable?
thnx

weeJohn

Lifer
This fault occours when the ecu detects revs above 3000 rpm for more than 3 seconds without a changed spped signal from the speedo.

When you wired in your rsm, did you cut a wire that is labelled spd at the ecu pin outs?

I have never wired one in but know they read spped so I am guessing you disconnected it from the ecu instead of splicing into or wiring it in series with it.

jcq8300

Fresh Recruit
i will try

thanks a lot...
i will try ur suggestion, one more thing that i forgot to mention, my speedo below 0km/h when engine is not running. is that on of the cause 42 error occured?

thnx
:confused:

weeJohn

Lifer
The check engine light comes from the ecu, the speed of the wheels comes from the gearbox by a mechanically spinning cable, up to the speedo. The speedo then sends a signal to the ecu and thats how the ecu knows what speed the cars going at. Wheel sensors are used for ABS in EP`s.

Is your speedo working ok?

Is your car a Starlet or Glanza or have you transplanted the EP engine into something else?

Evjatar

Member +
Sorry to bump this topic. just got a code 42 today. From what i can read is the error occuring from the speed sensor. This is located in the gearbox right? From the gearbox to the speedo, then an electric wire sends the speed signal to the ecu.

But are the wheel sensors also used to meassure speed?
My car's a 97 glanza with abs.

Texx

Super Moderator
The speed signal comes from the speedo, there's no speed sensor in a manual gearbox. If the speedo isn't working then there's either a gearbox, speedo cable or speedo fault, if the speedo is working and code 42 is stored there is either a fault with the speedo, the wiring between the speedo and ECU or a fault with the ECU itself.