vibrations above 40 mph

andybill

Member +
hey guys, started getting vibration through the steering wheel when going above 40 mph, its not when i brake just when driving normally so i think i can rule out brakes. I jacked car up today and there is a bit of play in the top mounts, could these cause the vibration/feedback ?

glanza_dan

Fresh Recruit
yes might be due to the weels need wheel balancing,
might be worth while to do your tracking, Are the wheels ok not buckled

andybill

Member +
wheels arent buckled and have been re-balanced recently, only bit of play was from top mounts, but would this give vibration ?

Big_Daddy

Member +
wheels arent buckled and have been re-balanced recently, only bit of play was from top mounts, but would this give vibration ?

Think there will be abit of play as suspension leg does spin on top mount.:rolleyes:

Jack car from one side and shake the wheel left and righ , up and down.

andybill

Member +
there was no play in lower ball joints and no bearing play, kinda stumped as it gets terrible above 40-50 mph. Ive not changed anything recently other than removed cusco lower arm bar

durmz

Member +
has it only started happening since last week? i know u say its been rebalanced whenever, but check the balances are still on the wheel, some turd mite not have fitted the weights properly and its fallen off

andybill

Member +
no its been doing it for few weeks m8 but ive not really driven much, only to ISTS this week and to the mrs which is about 20 mins on an A road where i have noticed it. Had wheels re-balanced and felt the exact same straight away

starbogt

Member +
I had the similar problem and ended up having the wheels balanced at 2 different places as I eliminated everything else! and it was the balancing... is it def from the front?

GTti

Member +
Take your wheels back and tell them to balance them properly.

To confirm, swap both fronts to the rear and go for a drive.

Does your car have spacers on the wheel? reason asking is not balancing it with the spacer can sometimes knock the balance out when on the car.

Also a bit strange how its at 40 wheel balancing normally doesnt come into play til say 60

gtadvmike

Member +
tracking matey u had it done recently ? does it get worse when u go to say fifty ? really could be one these things that u'll have to go fork out an get them rebalanced and get the tracking done just to figure out the problem i no im gettin some vibration just now due to a burst shcker

tracking matey u had it done recently ? does it get worse when u go to say fifty ? really could be one these things that u'll have to go fork out an get them rebalanced and get the tracking done just to figure out the problem i no im gettin some vibration just now due to a burst shcker

tracking does not cause vibration!

Texx

Super Moderator
Check for a layer of corrosion on the back of the wheel and the face of the brake disc that the wheel bolts to.

I did have an annoying vibration that was bugging me for a while which wheel balancing didn't cure.
Cleaned both surfaces with a scraper and wire wool and the vibration was gone.

andybill

Member +
solved by fitting a new set of rims :D must have been balancing related or possibly wheel nut related as i swapped standard ones for a set of Rays nuts

thanks for help guys