vista backwards compatible?

monka

Member +
anyone know if it is possible to make windows backwards compatible?

just got a few games i wanna install, but is saying i need win 95/98.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
you can do a compatibelety mode with right mouseclick
properties
compatebilety
run as

and it does f*ck all :homer:

the best way to play oldskool games is to build an oldskool rig.

i play all my oldskool games like doom and viper racing on this

p3 600
128 ram
10gb hard drive

DSC00886.JPG

starbogt

Member +
This should sort your problem, have tried it many times on different computers and it works fine.
Christy

It is worth a try but vista has many glitches that stop things working... I have found backward compatibility very frustrating with vista it either works or doesn't its pot luck.

we'll see, some games will simply not run in an NT environment. the best and often the only way to play win9x games, is in win9x.

You may be right but if it works it saves him money having to go and buy/make a computer with win9x on it.
Suppose another option would be dual booting your system, if you get a Vista Operating Systems Disc and a Win9x Operating System Disc you could format your hard drive and create 2 partition install the Vista on One and Win9x on the other, then everytime you boot up it will ask you which operating system do you wana start and depending on what you wana do you chose i.e play games Win9x, go online etc Vista.
Christy

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
good idea.

i'm still fighting to run dos games, even on this oldskool system. i cannot remember for the life of me how correctly use himem.sys and emm386 to free up the conventional memory properly. i used to be able to do this easypeasy when i was 12!

gonna see if i can find an old DOS6.22 boot disk and adapt it.

good idea.

i'm still fighting to run dos games, even on this oldskool system. i cannot remember for the life of me how correctly use himem.sys and emm386 to free up the conventional memory properly. i used to be able to do this easypeasy when i was 12!

gonna see if i can find an old DOS6.22 boot disk and adapt it.

LOL aye if it was me as im an inpatient, I would just dual boot my system. Like have a system running high memory,hard drive, graphics card, processor etc. At the minute im trying to quad boot a system with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Unbuntu and Mac OSX. The Mac is cauing me problems with the system not recognising the installation even though the partition is created and Mac installed on it, nearly got it resolved though now by the looks of things.
But aye think Dual boot is your best bet mate. :p
Christy

BomB191

Member +
gotta rember that vista still hasent got severs pack things should settle down and work a *#^%@ load better then what it is now

Aye I am just waiting for the unhappy customer to come through with 'I just downloaded SP1 for Vista and now my machine wont work'haha. Has anyone installed this yet?? Any problems etc?? There usually is with Microsoft.
Christy