Want to lower my GT.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Hi all!

Bought my first GT last weekend and absolutely love it so far! I will get it looking shiny tomorrow and post up in the welcome section :beer:

As I've just bought the car and paid for a years insurance, I don't have a huge amount of money to throw at it.

My question is can I just buy lowering springs and fit them to the standard shocks? I'd probably just get some £100 Apex springs from eBay for now if that works.

Also if anyone has lowered there car by 35/40mm please could I see how they sit? I want it to sit low-ish, but not slammed, because I have to come down a very bumpy driveway to my house.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

southwalesgt

Member +
In my honest opinion, save up and get a full set of coilovers! D2, Tein etc...

My GT has 40mm lowering springs and uprated (unknown jap make) shocks and the ride is firm to say the least. I scrub the bumper every now and then, sometimes the exhaust.

But save up and get coilovers...thats what im doing. Better handling, ride comfort and adjustable to get the perfect look in the arches!

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
I think I would be happy with just springs to be honest mate. My MR2 was crazy hard so I'm not worried about it being too firm. Is it neccessary to buy shocks and springs, or can a car be lowered by fitting lowering springs to the standard suspension? ... My previous cars have been lowered when I bought them so I've never had to do it myself.

Thanks mods for moving my post, still new to the forum and did'nt think to put it in a specific section :beer:

addz

Member +
But save up and get coilovers...thats what im doing. Better handling, ride comfort and adjustable to get the perfect look in the arches!

Ride comfort is next to nothing on my D2 coilovers!

Don't expect a decent set of coilovers to be comfortable. Otherwise you'll think you just got mugged for paying £500 or what have ya.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
I know lol, a mate with a Glanza has D2's on that and following him it doesn't look like the car has suspension!

Can anyone confirm that after market springs can be fitted onto the standard shocks? If they can then I will order some springs straight away.

Texx

Super Moderator
Can anyone confirm that after market springs can be fitted onto the standard shocks? If they can then I will order some springs straight away.

Yes, you can fit after market springs to standard shocks but if your shocks are already a bit tired then they probably won't last too long after you change the springs before they start to leak.

You'll also need to replace the rear panhard rod with an adjustable rod so you can center the rear axle after the car's been lowered. You may be lucky depending on the drop of the springs you buy, but the general rule is if you lower the car you'll need an adjustable panhard rod.

I had KYB shocks and Tein springs fitted, the ride comfort was pretty good, but I wouldn't say the Tein springs lowered the car that much. I've now got BC coil overs fitted which have given me the ride height I was after, but even on the softest damper setting I wouldn't say the ride was comfortable, but it's acceptable. You'll notice the main difference between standard shocks with uprated springs and coil overs the first time you chuck the car into a corner when carrying some speed.

I'd either go for some Koni adjustable shocks with matching springs or coil overs, but if you use the car as a daily driver I'd probably rule out the coil over option.

Last edited:

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Think I'll just go for Apex springs on the standard shocks at the moment as money is tight and I'm only really after a lower, slightly firmer ride. I won't be doing track days or anything like that and the roads round my way are awful, so I think I'd get sick of coliovers (I know it contradicts what I said in a previous post!).

My GT has'nt done 38k miles yet so I'm hoping that the shocks should be fine.

How will I know if I need a panhard rod? And if I do what sort of price are they?

Sorry for all the noob questions.

i know every1 is saying this but coilovers are by far the best option yes you will have to save up but u wont regret it ull get much better handling and a lower ride height, i had kyb's at the back and ohlins at the front it was seriously shit compared to the tein superstreet coils i have now and theyre actually gives quite a comfortable drive:)

davehart

Member +
I dont see the point in coilovers if your just driving it around day in day out and not planning on any track use in the shortterm.

Nice set of Apex springs will lower it about 35mm on the front and 30mm on the back, not bad springs and they do fit on standard shocks. They are a bit stiff mind you.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
I've ordered some Apex springs from Camskill Performance ...£82 delivered! Saw a picture of them on a GT and it looks just like I want. Guy a know with D2's on a Glanza can't get down my driveway, so I think they are the more sensible choice.

Thanks for everyones help. I'll get a pic when they're on, this is how is sits at the moment.

(I hated the wheels at first but they're really growing on me, just need to spray the centre caps!)

Attachments

• Starlet 2_001.jpg
    Starlet 2_001.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2