wastegate chatter

Sham

Member +
hey peeps, jus built my car up with the power up kit from sacha.
The car is boosting .4 bar on a hybrid turbo, im getting alot of wastegate chatter, Some1 told me this is not good for the turbo, are they wrong or right???

Rossi-GTturbo

Member +
i know people that run there cars without a bov becasue they like the chatter noise.

i fink the noise is when the blades in the turbo are spinng one way then they stop and spin the other way causing the blade to chop thorught the air causing that noise.

i think that is rite.

personally i dont think it is good for your car

dan_ep82

Member +
your bov is't opening early enough you need a softer spring or if its adjustable needs to be loosened.

its called compressor surge :)

dan

Kelly

Member +
Some ppl have run turbo's like that all their life. But its debatable about how healthy it is.

For example Ben just has external wastegate on the k24 no bov at all.

But i have a bov with my power up kit, and i cant hear chatter at all (on the first time i fitted kit, will only get fired up again tonight so will update)

Auto EP82

Lifer
mine does this and ive got a dv i changed the dv last weekend and it still made the same noise.Any1 got any ideas as to why it making the noise could it be the setup ive got?

Nwimie

Member +
spring to stiff by the sounds of it loosen the screw on the DV and it will let pressure out quicker which will stop the "compressor surge" or turbo stall which ever you may like to call it.

Auto EP82

Lifer
The only thing on it it a 12 mm nut on the top already tryed unscrewing this but made no difference even when rite out dont think you can adjust this 1 and the other dv i put on it was a bailey 1 and couldent adjust that 1 either but cheers for the help anyway.

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
this question has been asked loads of times and no one can say 100% its good or bad for your turbo, the general feeling was that it's not doing your turbo any good but at the same time its not causing any harm either.
I'm running a hybrid with the stock d/v and i get loads of loud compressor surge.....love it :D

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Fine at low boost pressures, not good on high. Been through a few turbos in my time but still don't run DV's. Yes it will ware them faster over time, especially if your running an old worn CT9 at 1.2 bar or there abouts. Larger new turbos will be stronger built. Listen to the Orido Supra, no D/V and wastegates don't make noises by the way it's turbo stall :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbvngVXRqIs

As traders we can rebuild turbos relatively easy otherwise don't go mad! You don't need an external wastegate either, it has nothing to do with an internal or external w/gate, it's dictated by not running a BOV/Re-circ and the type of filter you have. The Orido supra makes that sound due to having an open ended filter, like my old Starlet if you remember:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=toyota+starlet+ep82&sitesearch=

An Apexi for e.g doesn't have an open end, a Power Enterprise does ;) The design of the filter dictates the noise :)

T

Sham

Member +
I'm starting to love it now, on the way back from work i got the chatter and then the dump from the bov, sounds kinda cool