Wastegate welding closed???

td04 project:)

Member +
Trying to find the best way of doing this as my welder informed me you cannot weld the aluminium gate to the cast turbo? I was thinking of just welding a wee cast plate over the hole?

Thanks, Allan

dac69er

Super Moderator
i would very much doubt the penny is aluminium due to it being in the exhaust path in the turbo.

im not a welder, but make sure you preheat the area before welding, then i would just use cast welding rods. then let it cool naturally, dont cool with water.

many people do this and they are not aluminium are normaly stainless steel or mild but can be welder with a normal mig welder..... who ever you went to proberly just didnt want to do it but what i did i took the penny off the holder welded it complete so get a complete seal then put the holder back on dude

hope that helps

td04 project:)

Member +
My bad i meant the penny is stainless lol Cheers guys if thats the way everyone does it then thats the way i shall do it:) rep added

Brendanlez

Member +
Tell your welder to use a 29/9 welding rod for an arc welder, specially made rods for welding Steel and Stainless Steel

weeJohn

Lifer
It does not need to be welded all the way round, just at either side of the penny. Make sure its held tightly closed then hit it with the arc.