Water in the catch can...

pacman

Member +
Can someone please tell me if I should be worried; I took the top off my catch can earlier and there seemed to be a fair amount of sludge and water inside it. I have a 'race spec' cam cover and there is also sludge inside the pipes going from that to the can. Does this point to head gasket failure? There is no mayo inside the oil cap...

Help will be rep'd, cheers.

Fizturbo

Member +
Can someone please tell me if I should be worried; I took the top off my catch can earlier and there seemed to be a fair amount of sludge and water inside it. I have a 'race spec' cam cover and there is also sludge inside the pipes going from that to the can. Does this point to head gasket failure? There is no mayo inside the oil cap...

Help will be rep'd, cheers.

As long as ur not loosing too much water and no oily in the coolent,will most probably from condensation.

5e colin

Member +
i gets the same dont worry just condensation
going hot cold all the time collects water out of the air

Rob H

Member +
You will see more condensation in the tank at this time of year too with the amount of moisture in the air.

ChrisD

Member +
The sludge you talked about is something like mustard?

Mine also does this, but i have seen others that theirs don't have it.

pacman

Member +
It's a similar colour to petroleum jelly, kinda off white with a waxy appearance. It's just emulsified oil/water. Most people describe it as mayonnaise but if their mayo looks like that they need to throw it out...