Water Pump + Fitting

Guys,

I think my water pump has gone or going and need it replaced, phoned up Toyota and they want £400 for the work, which includes replacement timing belt, water pump and the work..

Does it sound like they are pulling a fast one?

About a year ago I had a cambelt change including pully and tensioner, and it was around £300!!!

Another place quoted me £300 without parts, and parts work out to be around £55 - But this is a VW Garage!

Any thaughts?

tooooo much mate! In Malta such things can be made for around £80-£100 excluding parts and even lower sometimes. Try and search a little bit cause you can save that extra cash for tuning later on ;)

danturbo4311

Member +
If you had the cam belt changed about a year ago it will be fine mate you dont need to replace the timing belt when doing the water pump on these engines, as its driven off the excillary belt not timing belt. obviously if you hadnt had the belt changed last year you might aswell change the timing belt whilst doing the water pump as your halfway there anyway but in your case i wouldnt bother.

Oh I see - Will the new pump come with the auxilery belt then? or will I have to purchase seperatly? - If waters getting on the timing belt, do you think I need to change it then? or will it be OK without? Id rather not change it again If I really dont need to since ive had it changed recently!!

3 Hours labour sound about right? I would try it myself but belts and water are not my forte!

I'm going to shop around abit but I cant do to much as a) im at work b) Everytime I drive i have to fill up the water bottle, and thats annoying me! and c) im sure its not doing my engine any good!!

gt-stu

Member +
took me two hours to do on the missus glanza,i reckon i could do it much quicker now,its dead easy,if you have two jacks you could do it on the deck,drivers side engine mount has to be removed to get to 1 bolt on the pump,obviously timing covers etc aswell,i took the altenator of aswell,

ive gota do my own pump on saturday so will see how quick i can get it done then

Hahaha Absoutly no chance, even if i managed to get the cambelt off - i would never get it on and working again, i have no idea about that kind of stuff unfortunatly :(

Think im gonna dig deep into the wallet.. I read above that the is another cover for the water pump, whats the chances of any water from the leaking pump getting onto the cambelt then? minimal?

dac69er

Super Moderator
for the cost of a belt i would just get it done while its all off. the coolant is slightly oily and im unsure whether it would shorten the life of the belt but its not worth the risk.

once its done, its done and nothing that end of the engine should need touching for a long time as long as nothing else goes tits up.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
mybe someone on the site that lives near you can give you a hand i would not pay that sort of money for a 1 hour job thats just nuts,someone here might do it for ya for a few :beer::beer::beer::beer:

Yay thats my guide! :p

for the cost of a belt i would just get it done while its all off. the coolant is slightly oily and im unsure whether it would shorten the life of the belt but its not worth the risk.

once its done, its done and nothing that end of the engine should need touching for a long time as long as nothing else goes tits up.

I agree with that, the belt costs like 20 quid on it's own. May as well do it when it's in bits, saves having to do it again any time soon, as it wouldn't add much to the cost labour wise since most time consuming stuff is done. I did my water pump only because I was doing the belts and tensioners. Makes sense. Although my timing belt turned out to be fine, I still swapped it out as the aux belt on my car was pretty worn looking so couldn't take the chance the timing belt was the same.

Also you don't get the belt with the kit normally.

Ooomoo

Member +
£400?? are u mad lol, you cn get a brand new blue print pump for £35, n say 2 hours to remove n fit the new one, even a garage shud only charge like £100 for it...

Guys, I cant seem to find the Auxillery belt you talked about? - I think im going to go to a private guy but I need to source that belt. Any ideas?

Ooomoo

Member +
drive up to me and i`ll do it for £100 :)

if your stuck you could always try the toyota dealerships, they do all parts for import cars now :)

Camskill do it? When I was looking the other day I could only find the cambelt, the Powersteering and AC belt or the Alternater belt? Is it the alternator belt?