Weird problem!

stevo82

Member +
So heres a bit of background. When the engine is below normal operating temp it runs fine, but as soon as it reaches operating temp it starts cutting out, like at traffic lights when I pull away, I just touch the throttle and it dies, then struggles but starts, and as you pull a way its as if the engine cuts out for milliseconds but comes back alive. It also seems to reach fuel cut at much lower boost than normal. In the past I could boost up to 0.9bar but now I struggle to get 0.7 without it cutting out. I've replaced the intake air temp sensor and coolant temp sensor with the ones I had in my other engine but it stays the same.

Now whats weird to me is that I live at an altitude of 1650m, and this is where the car seems to be most problematic. Twice I've been on holiday for more than a month at a time to a place with an altitude of about 950m, and the cutting out at pull away and shuddering completely stops after I've been here for a few weeks, but when I go back to the higher altitude the problem slowly creeps back. Is this not odd? At low altitude I only have the problem of the car reaching fuel cut early so it might be more than one problem.

I'm at low altitude right now and I just did a diagnostic and got the code 12. I know it means no rpm, tdc signal, but I dont really know what that means or what to look for.

So if anyone can just point me in some direction or give me some advice I'd appreciate it very much! I've been struggling with this problem for months and I'd really like to get my car back to normal.

Thank you!

weeJohn

Lifer
Have you tried checking the hose from the inlet mani to the map sensor on the bulkhead?

Or you could actually try another map sensor in it.

stevo82

Member +
The hose seems to be fine. I was hoping nobody would say replace the map sensor, its gonna be a bitch to find over here, and very expensive! But thanx, its prob what I will hav to do.

weeJohn

Lifer
The hose seems to be fine. I was hoping nobody would say replace the map sensor, its gonna be a bitch to find over here, and very expensive! But thanx, its prob what I will hav to do.

A lot of lads on here will have swapped theirs for a 3 bar sensor, put a post up in the wanted section and I am sure you will get one very reasonabll priced.