Weird vibration at idle

im not too familiar with the ep82 starlet's since they never came into Canada and this one is my first one, however i would like to apologize for my stupid question if it may be. Anyways ever since i got the car, i have been reading on the forums quite a bit about them, mine is modified a little bit, but not alot. Its got some japanese full exhaust system, and an HKS intake, thats all that has been done to it. Anyways ever since i got the car i noticed that it has a weird vibration at idle. The idle is at 700rpms exactly like factory and as soon as its idling the whole car is vibrating, i mean i can feel it through my seat and on the floor boards how all of the car is vibrating. Soon as i increase or raise the idle with the accelerator it goes away and runs smoothly, or soon as i turn all the lights on my idle increases by maybe 75rpms and the vibration goes away. Im just wondering what the issue is here, because i am positive that this vibration is not normal, im just wondering what the main cause of this is, and if its common on all the ep82 starlets??

dac69er

Super Moderator
idle speed is too low. do you have polyurethane engine mounts?

they do tend to vibrate a bit on idle, even more so with solid engine mounts.

raise your rpm to about 850rpm

Rev

Member +
x2 Just turn the idle up using the idle adjustment screw on the top of the intake manifold. ( under the rubber grommet. ) Stock I thought is 750 rpm so it sounds like yours is a little low. Usually maintenance items can effect the idle a little. Oil not filled or getting old , air filter, spark plugs , distributer rotar worn or salty, dirty alternator fuse etc.

dark_knight

Member +
engine mounts maybe. have you checked those..? there are 3 of them. one on the engine (belt-side), two on the transmission..

thanks for the reply's. i will definately check those today. And does anyone have a picture of the exact location of this idle screw that i can find???

dac69er

Super Moderator
thanks for the reply's. i will definately check those today. And does anyone have a picture of the exact location of this idle screw that i can find???

look at the inlet manifold throttle body end. its a brass coloured screw that sits in a hole that points up. you cant miss it as its the only adjustment screw other than the throttle stop