what boost can the standard engine withhold ??

just wondering what boost the starlet turbo engine can take on a daily bases with no internals done ?
and if the engine can take more boost if a hybrid turbo is put on ?

nexia201

Member +
Depends how lucky you are , my pistons went at 10psi (ringlands) but that could have been because of age of engine .Then there are some more lucky ones that are running 20psi with big turbos and the engine is still going strong! So stop and think a bit if you consider yourself a lucky guy go with the big boost if not dont even think of it ;)

most important not to hit fuel cut (install fcd) and that it fuels right (with right package) and not more boost than 0.9bar will be safe, also the service history and milage done etc also plays important role. Every engine is different ....

ideal k ! well i was running it at 10 normally then had couple channels on the boost controller set at 12 and 14 so coould choose which one like !!!
i think by wot u guys r saying i mite keep it at 10 normal like i was and only 12 psi when i need it does that sound beeter to u guys ???
so far on the car i got as follows :

exhaust system
de-cat
tubular manifold
hks actuator
hks fcd
front mounted intercooler
dump valve
magnecor leads (just ordered)
ngk iridium plugs heat range 7's (just ordered)
fuel pump (just ordered)
fuel pressure regulator
blitz air filter
blitz turbo timer
blitz boost controller
tein springs

so what would you guys recommend me getting next ??
cheers

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
there are people running 20psi in standard internals etc. if you are ready to rebuild your engine if it fails give it 20psi and give it a safe map.

ChrisGT

Member +
Surely 1Bar on a TD05 will put more of a strain on internals than say 1Bar on a CT9? So isn't saying "1Bar" a tad mis-leading?

madman

Member +
im running 1.1 bar an a td04 with no problems for the last 3 months or so... but as already stated depends on the condition of the engine and how regularly its serviced