What could cause a valve to snap

ryan-11

Member +
The timming was bang on, would it not bend /snap all the valves if the timming was out? is the 4e not a safe engine?

gedis

Member +
The timming was bang on, would it not bend /snap all the valves if the timming was out? is the 4e not a safe engine?

it is safe engine if you mean non interferance(sp.) engine, hard to say, any picture of the valve? any spec of the head? could be alot of things, broken spark plug, deformed/melted valve with heat, worn/damaged valve guide, bad valve seat etc.

ryan-11

Member +
it is safe engine if you mean non interferance(sp.) engine, hard to say, any picture of the valve? any spec of the head? could be alot of things, broken spark plug, deformed/melted valve with heat, worn/damaged valve guide, bad valve seat etc.

The head was port and polished, cruise valve springs and speedvision cams, it was also rebuilt about 500 miles ago it also got all new valve guides.

The valve looks like it has snapped, the valve head has wrecked the head, piston and bore and ended up in the inlet manifold, the valve doesnt looked burnt and the spark plug still has the tip on it.

all this came out the head

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

Mikey4410

Member +
Ooh mate, that's hard to look @ !!! That's a horrible sight.... Maybe it had a flaw in it ?? I would do a search and see if it's happened to any body else.hope u can get it fixed.... Goods luck. Regards

danturbo4311

Member +
That looks nasty, whats the cam lobes & shims like, is there any signs of damage to any of the other valves, did you have the spring base pressure checked when you installed the cams & springs

scot-ish

Member +
was the head skimmed? how much by?

was the bottom end decked? if so how much by?

was the car making any noises?
has the plug been out just before it happened? or had it run for 500 miles without being touched, and then happened??

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Thats friggin crazy Ryan! By looking at that id assume without checking the engine over that it would be timing belt failure but as you've said your timing was spot on.

Where the collets on the valve properly? I reckon it looks like the valve has dropped and touched the piston leading to all the failure.

ryan-11

Member +
That looks nasty, whats the cam lobes & shims like, is there any signs of damage to any of the other valves, did you have the spring base pressure checked when you installed the cams & springs

the cams and shims are all fine, all the other valves look ok and yeah the spring base pressure was all checked

was the head skimmed? how much by?

was the bottom end decked? if so how much by?

was the car making any noises?
has the plug been out just before it happened? or had it run for 500 miles without being touched, and then happened??

Yeah the head was skimmed but not sure how much was taking off, the block wasnt. yeah the plug was out just before it happened and it was fine, i only had the speedvision cams in for 6 days.

Thats friggin crazy Ryan! By looking at that id assume without checking the engine over that it would be timing belt failure but as you've said your timing was spot on.

Where the collets on the valve properly? I reckon it looks like the valve has dropped and touched the piston leading to all the failure.

Yeah Iain i timmed it up before i took the head off and it was fine. The collets were fine.

scot-ish

Member +
is there any chance something was dropped in there whilst the plug was out? or was it run for a few miles after the plug was out?

350ep70gr

Member +
Wrong installation of the valve guide..misaligment..or ported to much at the end of the valve seat and start of the runner.
Have you notice any reduction on power just 1 mile before this happends(or anything like a slight misfire)?If yes then is the second option from above..

Chris

Last edited:

PDtuning

Fresh Recruit
Looks like something metal managed to flow into the head and bounced around inside the head. You can see the valve is all pushed inwards towards the cyl passably cuase by the metal been forced against the valve trying to get iv with vacuum and boost

ryan-11

Member +
Wrong installation of the valve guide..misaligment..or ported to much at the end of the valve seat and start of the runner.
Have you notice any reduction on power just 1 mile before this happends(or anything like a slight misfire)?If yes then is the second option from above..

Chris

It just all of a sudden lost power then i heard a loud chapping noise, i pulled over to stop but before i could stop it cut out.

was the under seal part of your valve mashined/thinned out for better flow?

No it wasnt

is there any chance something was dropped in there whilst the plug was out? or was it run for a few miles after the plug was out?

Na dont think so cause it was running fine after i put the plugs back in

Looks like something metal managed to flow into the head and bounced around inside the head. You can see the valve is all pushed inwards towards the cyl passably cuase by the metal been forced against the valve trying to get iv with vacuum and boost

So do u not think the valve snapped and the head of the valve has been bouncing off the piston and head?

cheers for the help guys

Texx

Super Moderator
Wrong installation of the valve guide..misaligment..

That's my thought. If the valve guide is not aligned with the valve seat or the valve seat hasn't been cut square to the valve stem/guide, it'll cause the valve stem to flex as the valve opens and closes. It won't take much of this flexing to fatigue the valve stem and eventually result in the valve head breaking away. Looking at your photos, I'd say the valve head has broken away (likely due to the above reason/s) dropped into the cylinder, been smashed around by the piston ripping the valve seat out in the process and then thrown back out into the intake port.

ryan-11

Member +
cheers Texx, looks like the valve guide was to blame then, need to get onto the company who rebuilt the head then.