What could my problem be?

Brad_L

Member +
As some of you might know my car started to misfire and i done a compression test

1=55
2=160
3=160
4=160

Most people said it would of been ringland, pistons knackered. Today me and a mate removed the head and number 1 piston. The piston and ring where in great condition and had no damage.

IMG_0172.jpg

However the headgasket has appeared to have blow between 2 and 3 but the compression test showed no problem

SL370005.jpg

We were a bit stumped to what the problem could be. We removed the valve from the head and after having a hard look realized the was a crack all the way around the exhaust valve

I dont know if you can see the crack very well in this picture

IMG_0173.jpg

also just out of interest i checked to see if the thermostat worked much to my surprise it didnt open. The car has never used any water or over heated and the misfire only happend about 500yards from my house then stopped driving it.

Would the crack in the head cause the low compression?

AdamB

Member +
From that compression result, it deffo seems to be something wrong in cylinder 1. It could be the rings, does the bore look oval? That might be causing it to blow past the rings.

Can't see the crack that well in the head from the pic, but will take your word for it. It would cause a compression loss if gas is escaping through the head.

With a thermostat that hasn't opened, that could be why the headgasket has blown between them cylinders, although you said you wasn't loosing any water it seems a bit strange.

Brad_L

Member +
im stumped tbh.

There wasnt any blow what so ever past the pistons

I had an engine builder look at the bore and piston and he said there is nothing wrong with them and in perfect working order.

AdamB

Member +
Yeah put a new head on her, new headgasket and do another compression test when its all back together and timed up :) See if it solves it

Brad_L

Member +
thats a very good video.

I should of done this before removing the head. The compression test i done stayed at 55psi when i dropped a little oil into the clinder.