what does fuel cut feel like??

94gtturbo

Member +
just wondering what is fuel cut, does the car cut out or run really bad, does it effect low revs and high revs?

Mark-ep91

Member +
taking from another thread from lingl9z

What Is Fuel Cut?

Fuel cut occurs when the firing signal stops being sent from the ECU to the injectors meaning exactly what the title says "Fuel Cut"

Whats The Cause?

Although alot of assumptions are thrown around I believe from what I've read that fuel cut isnt caused by, small injectors, low fuel pressure, free flowing exaust, larger turbo's or running no air filter. Yes some of these can display the symptons but it's not the direct cause.

The actual cause is the ECU seeing more air entering the intake/engine than it was programmed to do in the factory, which in tern was programmed to run the injectors to a certain duty cycle.

Why Am I Getting Fuel Cut?

The reason your getting fuel cut is because the ECU's seeing too much air in the system that it's meant to. Basically any modification you do to the engine that gives a power increase can make fuel cut occur.

- Open or relocated filters
- Free Flowing Exhaust system/Side Exit.
- Upping the boost on a turbo that can't vent it quick enough so get's boost creep meaning boost rises past the set level meaning more air, not enough fuel - Fuel Cut.

How do I get rid of fuel cut?

A lot of people often see HKS/JAM Fuel cut defenders and immidatly think and are often told that if they install a FCD they won't get fuel cut anymore... This only mask's the problem as the engine will be getting alot of air but won't have the fueling to match which intern makes the engine run LEAN!

An engine running lean won't last very long before it goes... BANG! search the forum and you'll see a large amount of threads related to this.

Temp fixes - Preventing fuel cut?

A temp fix isn't ideal but can be pretty useful if you don't have money to hand.

- Lose lead foot syndrome.

Self explanitory really.

- Reduce the amount of air coming in.

If you have a meshed filter or open filter, Put the EFI pipe back on with the standard box or even tape half the filter up to reduce the amount of air that can be taken in.

- Boost Creep

If your car's creeping port the wastegate with a dremel or like if possible.

Perminatly prevent Fuel Cut.

Either reduce the amount of air the ECU see's or Increase the amount of fuel going to the engine. This can be done in a series of ways.

1 - by fitting an RRFRP (Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator) This basically allows you to adjust the fuel pressure allowing more to flow in the right direction. Once you've fitted the RRFRP you'll need to install an FCD and get it set up on a rolling road with a wide band.

2 - Get a piggy back ECU and get it mapped (the likes of Emange)

3 - Get a standalone ECU like Jam, Blitz etc.

DO NOTS.

Do not fit an FCD without correct fueling mods.
Do not fit an rrfrp to adjust the pressure without checking AFRS.
Do not fit larger injectors.

heres the thread

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69469

starletsam

Member +
Fuel cut is like a judder.you will be accelerating then it will start juddering until it will kick back pretty hard

94gtturbo

Member +
ok because i had all the bits of around the engine polishing bits up etc, put them all back on last night with a new air filter much like a bmc cold air feed, and it started running super bad, it was fine before hand with the crappy old small air filter that was on it.

IppyEP82

Member +
Yea as said its like hitting a brick wall! you will certainly know when you hit fuel cut for the first time.

94gtturbo

Member +
when a started it and gave it a rev it chugged right up the revs until about 4rpm, took it for a run and same thing. was going to change plugs leads fuel filter etc, but it might be this fuel cut thingy