What engine will fit mrs

glanzanut

Lifer
ok so the bottom end on my mates MRS just shit itself (no im not talking about his bird lol). its the boring 1.8vvti so rather than replace it with the same, while going to the bother of changing the engine we have decided we will fit something with more grunt. so what im looking for is engine suggestions that should fit with not too much re working. obviously i would expect custom mounts wiring ect. but has anyone seen other engines fitted in these or know of ones that work well? reppo for help with this one guys! :freddy:

MarcoFTE

Member +
How about the Corolla T sport supercharger engine? 225 bhp, supercharged.
Basically, it's an T-sport engine with a TRD supercharger :)

D3N0

Member +
Well, i have great knowledge of this as i have started that path already but have that project on hold to the end of the year till prices drop back down in the US markets. Plus i need to finish the glanza as a must.....

D3N0

Member +
if you want to keep it NA, the only way is the way of the 1.8 2zz. the 1zz engine that comes in those cars only develop 138bhp and are a total flop of an engine as the restrictions in the cat and exhaust manifold cause savage damage to the bottem end. it is notorious know for this. once you go 2zz you will have 190bhp, play around with the apexi power fc that is still available for this car you will have about 200bhp. there are rotrex supercharged kits that are available for these engines which can develop upto 400bhp and sounds emence past 5800 rpm due to the 2zz faactory vvt-li (L) ast in lift that it similar to the honda vtec but better as it is constantly variable.....

D3N0

Member +
if you are looking in to puttin out other engines in there, it is perfect for this. but like any engine conversion you will need to fabricate some engine mounts and all the rest. i personally wouldnt undertake the conversions myself, but i know a guy call paul from woodsport.org that operates a garage west of london in durham that does the best conversion in any MR2. he is the only man you really want to go to. other sites definately worth checking are www.monkeywrenchracing.com the best place to get parts from. then for the best knowledge go to www.spyderforum.com i know there american but they are so help, the uk mr2roc is pants for info as they just copy from overseas. but there useful info in both sites knowledge wise. for exclusive body parts and others shop around but defo check out www.japanparts.com

Sigma

Member +
I would imagine that the block is the same as the 1.8 corrolla block, so do they do a large power one of those?

D3N0

Member +
Paul at woodsport will be happy to do an engine swop for you, and i find him to be reasonable priced. he has done all conversions possible for any MR2, but hasnt done a starlet 5e or 4e engine in one even though it is possible with the following gearboxs that are straight fitted... we all know of the c56 transmission for the starlet gt turbo, well there is reverse box to this that will fit snug to our starlet engines. we have seen this down with overseas starleteers that have mounted the 4efte in the rear of the car with a subframe. the other transmission box to use would be the e series box that has the same bellhousing as the c52 ( ill put the transmision part number in a sec once i remember which one) here we go its the e51 transmission box, which there are not many of as they were only sold in the supercharged 1988 MR2 available only in the states.....

Last edited:

D3N0

Member +
I would imagine that the block is the same as the 1.8 corrolla block, so do they do a large power one of those?

Even though both engines are of the zz series, both engines are designed totally different internally. the heads can not be swapped, the pistens, the stroke of the rods are different and so it the sump. but both are 1.8 engines delivering 138 and 190bhp respectively.

glanzanut

Lifer
some brilliant info there d3no! just phoned my mate there and he likes the sound of the 190bhp out the box. what are these engines fitted in celicas? and how do u tell them apart from the 138bhp engines as i would imagine they look the same? repo added by the way:freddy:

D3N0

Member +
some brilliant info there d3no! just phoned my mate there and he likes the sound of the 190bhp out the box. what are these engines fitted in celicas? and how do u tell them apart from the 138bhp engines as i would imagine they look the same? repo added by the way:freddy:

Check google images for pics, i can see you going wrong. just take the engine out of a celica or a corolla 2001 onward have the 2zz engine them, which are straight swops and u could do it urself. if uve got cash get the PPE header and exhaust kit available for it... its sounds awesome on lift.

im at work so i cant put links to certain videos on youtube, were i can show u the differences. the highes power MR-S is in america using the standard engine with turbo kit forged it made 505bhp at the rear wheels, there is also a supercharged 2zz rotrexed pushed 380bhp and sound savage and pisses all over lambos. they have the same weight as the glanza these cars, a great project in my opinion.

glanzanut

Lifer
yeah i see the differences now bud cheers. is the wiring loom the same i.e just a case of swapping ecus onto existing loom plug?:freddy:

D3N0

Member +
you would need to change the loom and ecu, as the engines are different. for instance one has lift vvt-li and the other not vvt-i

D3N0

Member +
if you are looking in to puttin out other engines in there, it is perfect for this. but like any engine conversion you will need to fabricate some engine mounts and all the rest. i personally wouldnt undertake the conversions myself, but i know a guy call paul from woodsport.org that operates a garage west of london in durham that does the best conversion in any MR2. he is the only man you really want to go to. other sites definately worth checking are www.monkeywrenchracing.com the best place to get parts from. then for the best knowledge go to www.spyderforum.com i know there american but they are so help, the uk mr2roc is pants for info as they just copy from overseas. but there useful info in both sites knowledge wise. for exclusive body parts and others shop around but defo check out www.japanparts.com

Forgot to add the most important forum for the MR-S, here u go
http://www.spyderchat.com/forums/index.php

D3N0

Member +
i was gna say 4efte lol, but the sounds of a supercharged 2zz with 300+hp mmmmmmmmm + rwd double mmmmmmm:freddy:

Mate the option for the MR-S is endless, you just got to have the money and time. the engines mid-mounted so you would have to use a charge cooler (well thats what id use any how from PWR manufactured in the UK) oh and thor-racing do an savage turbo kit for the MR-S... here the link -

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Turbo_Kits-279.asp

best turbo kit if you ask me, but its has choking price tag. but in all reality its worth it.

VVTL-I would be the easiest swap but still not a "driveway" job i would think.So many diffrences between looms.I'd try and swap gearboxes about aswell, the 190's are pish for dropping out of "tec" dunno if you can put controllers on them to bring the change over down a touch?