What final drive options are out there?

steo800

Member +
just wondering what final drive options there is out there for a starlet.

first and most obvious one is trd one, but if i can pull one from another gearbox and put it in the starlet one im sure id save a fair bit.

also, the trd one is 4.7xx or along the lines? might be a bit short so dont wanna spend all the money and then be to short.

for example, at out national circuit, mondello park, on the final corner in second, i cant give it full throttle untill i get the wheels straight. but if i go third im just below any useful power band.

would also benefit with being able to use third on a couple of other corners, where i can just about use third already.

going by this thread,
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26329&highlight=transmission+ratio
the 4.058 or the 4.312 is what id be looking for.

what cars do they come from and will the fit the starlet gearbox?

for final drives....u can check with toyota levin (4.3), ,,,tercel, paseo,sera, starlets, carat for differentials and matching pinions...trd did a few aslo

its hard to say which car has what...as it seems to get very confusing in different markets/regions......PLUS u have to account for gearbox swaps also

and again...all differentials are not built equal===some stronger than others....like the 4efte one is stronger than the tercel one
http://www.tercelreference.com/terc...rivetrain_components.html#front differentials

the levin swap seems to be the most popular compromise

Last edited:

steo800

Member +
@gedis, what year levin was it from?

@gorganl, im guessing the 4e-fte's fd's were strongest due to torque?

you all agree though that they are interchangable(1990- starlet, tercel, levin, trueno etc...)

gonna have fun looking for some of these

gedis

Member +
@gedis, what year levin was it from?

@gorganl, im guessing the 4e-fte's fd's were strongest due to torque?

you all agree though that they are interchangable(1990- starlet, tercel, levin, trueno etc...)

gonna have fun looking for some of these

97 ae111

steo800

Member +
been looking around the net and found a few different places stating the final drive in a c56(my glanza g/box) is 4.312, and not 3.722 already?

so i banged a few figures into a calculator thingy...

-3.166 1.904 1.392 1.031 0.815 as my gears
-185/55 r14 as tyre size(original size...see why next line)
-and going by standard speedo(only reference i have from memory as to speed/gear at 7000 rpm)

when i use 3.722 as final drive, it works out that third gear would reach 85.4 mph and 4th would reach 115.4, both at 7000rpm

when i use 4.312, 3rd reaches 73.7 mph and 4th reaches 99.5 mph, again both at 7000 rpm.

the second set of figures using the 4.312 final drive seem much more inline with what i remember from my speedo. now by no means am i saying the speedo clock is 100% accurate, but not even 10% could make up the difference, which is what i heard is the most a clock is/was aloud be out by manufacturers. from a reliable source aswell.

so what yous think? chance of having a 4.312 fd already?

been looking around the net and found a few different places stating the final drive in a c56(my glanza g/box) is 4.312, and not 3.722 already?

so i banged a few figures into a calculator thingy...

-3.166 1.904 1.392 1.031 0.815 as my gears
-185/55 r14 as tyre size(original size...see why next line)
-and going by standard speedo(only reference i have from memory as to speed/gear at 7000 rpm)

when i use 3.722 as final drive, it works out that third gear would reach 85.4 mph and 4th would reach 115.4, both at 7000rpm

when i use 4.312, 3rd reaches 73.7 mph and 4th reaches 99.5 mph, again both at 7000 rpm.

the second set of figures using the 4.312 final drive seem much more inline with what i remember from my speedo. now by no means am i saying the speedo clock is 100% accurate, but not even 10% could make up the difference, which is what i heard is the most a clock is/was aloud be out by manufacturers. from a reliable source aswell.

so what yous think? chance of having a 4.312 fd already?

Slim, unless there has been a box put in your car with the 4.3 final; drive in it for they didnt come in a glanza as far as i no. I no for a fact mine is 3.7 and a few other boxes that we have had apart (ep82 and ep91) were all 3.7

None of these were early early ep82 boxes

steo800

Member +
hopefully your right so i still have the option of putting 4.312 in.

just so i know, whats the best way to find out the fd ratio?

divide ring gear teeth by input gear teeth?

~edit~

well according to trd's site, starlets had a 3.722 fd in their gearboxes, both c52 box and c56

while corrolla levins/sprinter truenos had 4.312 in their c52 and c56 box.

so looks like im after an ae1x1 gearbox, or fd only hopefully!

Last edited:

drew-turbo

Member +
hopefully your right so i still have the option of putting 4.312 in.

just so i know, whats the best way to find out the fd ratio?

divide ring gear teeth by input gear teeth?

~edit~

well according to trd's site, starlets had a 3.722 fd in their gearboxes, both c52 box and c56

while corrolla levins/sprinter truenos had 4.312 in their c52 and c56 box.

so looks like im after an ae1x1 gearbox, or fd only hopefully!

i can hit nearly 100 in 3rd:confused:

gedis

Member +
there's a thread from one of the boys from malta, that has 4.3 final drive and gives top speed in every gear with 195/50/15 wheels, do a search

the ep91 and ep82 share the same 3.7 final drive
however, the 3rd and 4th gears are different ratios.....hence the ep82 box can reach higher speeds in those two gears in comparison to the ep91 gearbox

i know that the ep82/gt box will reach slightly in excess of 100mph/160kmph in 3rd gear..........while the glanza/ep91 box will struggle to reach much higher than 150kmph in 3rd gear

the ep91 and ep82 share the same 3.7 final drive
however, the 3rd and 4th gears are different ratios.....hence the ep82 box can reach higher speeds in those two gears in comparison to the ep91 gearbox

i know that the ep82/gt box will reach slightly in excess of 100mph/160kmph in 3rd gear..........while the glanza/ep91 box will struggle to reach much higher than 150kmph in 3rd gear

Are you sure cause I definately can get more than 150KMPH out of my Glanza in third. Dont know much about final drives but know I can get more than that.
Christy

Are you sure cause I definately can get more than 150KMPH out of my Glanza in third. Dont know much about final drives but know I can get more than that.
Christy

how much can u get from your 3rd gear?
most i've seen it about 153/155km/h...with the engine screaming ....after 145 km...there is not much left in 4rd gear for mine

a buddy with a glanza also experiences the same as me

http://www.kabamus.com/garage/gears.html
try this for yourself....it's pretty close

my tire width - 195mm......aspect ratio - 50......rim - 15.......3rd gear ratio - 1.392 ......and final drive ratio - 3.722

http://www.trdparts.jp/english/list_race-mis_ep.html
check the ep91 oem graph...and see where the line extend to at 7000 rpm (u will need to kind of trace it yourself)

Last edited: