what is a "sniff test"

gv1.3

Admin
a sensor is placed over the radiator filler and it detects the presence of hydrocarbons. If it finds them then combustion gases are leaking in to your cooling system.

There are also products out there which you can add to your cooling system which change colour if they come in contact with these gases and alert you that your cooling system is being contaminated.

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
my mate works for vauxhall and i got him to do one on my ax. you remove the rad cap and theres an adapter that screws onto the rad then u put a chemical in it that reacts with co2 so if theres co2 in your coolant the indicator changes colour. thats pretty much it.

munday

Member +
a sensor is placed over the radiator filler and it detects the presence of hydrocarbons. If it finds them then combustion gases are leaking in to your cooling system.

There are also products out there which you can add to your cooling system which change colour if they come in contact with these gases and alert you that your cooling system is being contaminated.

+1

This is totally correct, the sensor used is usually the emissions sniffer placed up the exhaust at MOT time. Finding hydrocarbons in the cooling system is a bad thing

Shorty

Member +
i had one done that said my head gasket was ok just before i had it changed as it was fooked lol. have been warned that just because it comes back ok doesnt mean the head gasket is :) and my old hybrid was pressureing my cooling system. still not 100% sure how :confused: that was also the reason the head gasket died in the first place, so dont rule out the turbo as a cuase.

munday

Member +
i had one done that said my head gasket was ok just before i had it changed as it was fooked lol. have been warned that just because it comes back ok doesnt mean the head gasket is :) and my old hybrid was pressureing my cooling system. still not 100% sure how :confused: that was also the reason the head gasket died in the first place, so dont rule out the turbo as a cuase.

It will only show if the gasket is blown between the cylinder and cooling system, that is where it usually goes. And it should show up in a sniffer test if you boost it before the test!

The other way you can often tell is using a compression test for if it could be blown between two cylinders

Shorty

Member +
see that was my issue it wasnt between cylinders and was the turbo causing all the issues, its all sorted now new hybrid and cruise gasket ect, im just saying dont rule out the tubby as a cuase people always blame the head gasket but then again i dont know what his symtoms are lol

munday

Member +
see that was my issue it wasnt between cylinders and was the turbo causing all the issues, its all sorted now new hybrid and cruise gasket ect, im just saying dont rule out the tubby as a cuase people always blame the head gasket but then again i dont know what his symtoms are lol

;)