what lsd to get? lsd knowledge needed. rep to be given

alright folks, finally got my td04 fitted. now i think i should consider an lsd. never considered this before, but a friend off this site has tried persuading me.

What lsd gearbox should i look out for? whats the best gearbox i can get? i honestly havent a clue, i have heard of oem lsd, trd, 1.5 way lsd, which is the best?

any for sale? someone pm me any gearboxes or text me 07541453202

churcherj

Member +
Rthe lsd fits your gearbox. Its not a different type of gearbox. :)

unless you go for say the oem lsd where you then cannot fit an aftermarket unit into it....

from my research the quaife units and kazz units are meant to be decent products, have a search theres loads of info on LSD's

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
units are sold seperately from the gbox, as mentioned above you only have a headache if you have the gbox with the oem lsd...

imo each diff is good, it just depends what ur going to use the car for, for high power applications though, be it track or qtm helical is definately the way to go, as clutch type diff's have a tendency to need a change of pads from 45000kms onwards...

but like anything else there is more than 1 opinion, it also comes down to preference.. I always reccomend either the TRD or Quaife 1.5way helical lsd's.

kon

RGM1800

Member +
units are sold seperately from the gbox, as mentioned above you only have a headache if you have the gbox with the oem lsd...

imo each diff is good, it just depends what ur going to use the car for, for high power applications though, be it track or qtm helical is definately the way to go, as clutch type diff's have a tendency to need a change of pads from 45000kms onwards...

but like anything else there is more than 1 opinion, it also comes down to preference.. I always reccomend either the TRD or Quaife 1.5way helical lsd's.

kon

nice one kon. is there a disavantage using a 2way lsd on our starlets? coz i have a 2 way lsd not sure what brand though its been on the car since i got it

With the 1.5-way, the LSD functions most during acceleration, and is weaker when not accelerating,the 1.5-way is designed for novices, since vehicle control becomes more difficult when the engine is used to brake,With the 2-way, the LSD functions when not accelerating as well, providing excellent vehicle control under a variety of conditions.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?76737-kaaz-or-quaife&highlight=

A quiaffe is technically an ATB and neither it or a helical have a "way". The plate/clutch type diffs come in 1way, 1.5way and 2way form they are all the same unit but can be reassembled a certain way to change the "way".
The plate type will need regular oil changes. The quiaffe can be put in and forgotten about.

Do a search there is loads of info on the forum, 30+ good threads, thats what I did when deciding on a diff.

Some people swear by a helical some people swear by a plate type, my advice is try and get a run in a few cars that are running them and then make your decision rather than what people post up, its kind of like the 4e v 5e or honda v toyota debate on here lol

the trd helical is a nice unit, if you can find one

easy to drive, easy to maintain and there when you need it

however, you need to determine what specific purpose you will be using the LSD for, then buy a LSD to match

as the others said, do a search too, tons of information on this topic here, and pictures too...lol

Last edited:
the trd helical is a nice unit, if you can find one

easy to drive, easy to maintain and there when you need it

however, you need to determine what specific purpose you will be using the LSD for, then buy a LSD to match

as the others said, do a search too, tons of information on this topic here, and pictures too...lol

im using the trd helical ment to be the quitest diff on the market depends what your using it for but i personally as what i said above think the 1.5 way is better for me

ktl

Member +
Quaife ATB ftw. absolutely love mine and i can get them cheaper then Quaife advertise ;) so winwin

azerty

Supermoderator
the clutch type LSD is supposed to be better than the helical for race purpose, but a said above, you have to change disc after some time while the helical doesn't need any maintenance. realy up to you :)
you can adjust clutch type stiffness while you cannot adjust helical.

hardcoreep

Member +
the clutch type LSD is supposed to be better than the helical for race purpose, but a said above, you have to change disc after some time while the helical doesn't need any maintenance. realy up to you :)
you can adjust clutch type stiffness while you cannot adjust helical.

Smart man. This is correct. On a helical the preload is fixed, on a clutch type you can pull it apart and change the locking percentage by switching the disc orientation or adding more plates. Cuzco also allows you to change some of their units from 1, 1.5, to 2way.

You do not want a 2way on a front wheel drive circuit car. It will cause the car to understeer and make it difficult to turn. 1 to 1.5 is generally recommended for FF cars. A straight drag car will benefit from the 2way since it will basically always be locked.