what size?

andy.i

Member +
what size intercooler pipes do people use?

it will be forged, running a td04 prob at about 1.4bar

is 3" a bit big?

simonleeds

Member +
2 inch is the norm mate
the bigger the pipes the more lag you'll get
its a toss up between having enuff area for the compressed air to run thru but keeping the volume (area inside the intercooler pipes) to a minimum ie length and tube diameter

mines 2-2.5 but can't remember. I can measure the morn if you want bud?

Although mine is a jperformance one so it's not as if I aimed for that bore of piping lol

Glanza D

Member +
2" hotside with a step up to 2 1/2" to match cooler intake then 2 1/2" from cooler to intake. best way to do it.

weeJohn

Lifer
Your throttle body internal diameter is only 50mm, plus it has the extra restriction of an axle for a plate.

If you run a stock t/b I would stick with 2 or at the most go to 2.25.

Fatman

Member +
IMO the ideal would be 2 inch into the core, 2.5 inch to the throttle body. The theory is that the increase in volume/decrease in apparent restriction post intercooler core will lead to less of a pressure drop across the intercooler core and lower post core temperatures.

In the real world, 2 inch is more than adequate, easier to find space for, easier and cheaper to buy materials and weld. Flow limitations of 2 inch piping won't be felt on a 4e until very high power levels.

weeJohn

Lifer
The theory is that the increase in volume/decrease in apparent restriction post intercooler core will lead to less of a pressure drop across the intercooler core and lower post core temperatures.

Dont you mean drop in air speed?

Pressure is not dependant on flow, the whole line needs to be pressurised to make pressure, 1 bar of pressure will basically stay 1 bar (minor changes through turbulance when passing through different size voids) in a 20mm or 50mm pipe.

A wider outlet will slow a set ammount of air down as it passes through it at the set (boost) pressure, the same way air slows down as it opens out into the bigger volume of the cooler, increasing its loss of heat.

There is still the set ammount of pressure in the cooler but.

andy.i

Member +
thanks guys. i found a load of 3" ss pipe in the skip at work the other day but i guess its too big, il look out for some 2"!

andy.i

Member +
good idea mate haha!

the amount of stuff we throw out is unreal, im sure il have more than enough by wed/thur to make up pipes!