What The Frick!!!???!!??

turbo-roj

Member +
Cars been in the garage today for a quote for a clutch and driveshaft

Anyway - Clutch £290, C.V. joint £236.75 and driveshaft £397!!!

so thats nearly a grand for everything!!

Any idea where i can get a cv joint and driveshaft for less than that!?

Help appreciated guys!

Adam_Glanza

Member +
is that the price including labour or purely the parts alone??

i would amagine thats with labour,

if it is then all that will be coming off when the clutch is done pretty much neway.

would take it somewhere that knows wat there doin

turbo-roj

Member +
well, thats just for the parts alone from Toyota, altho the clutch is only £150. Ive managed to find a CV joint from Toby for about £60 or sumthing, and there are 2nd hand driveshafts on ebay for like £50ish

however i think this garage is taking the piss, but what il do is buy the parts myself and get them to fit it, do you think a 2nd hand driveshaft from egay would be ok?

heres one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-STARLE...225209261QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220225209261

I aint been in an accident, i know i hit a major pothole on someones drive, would that of done it?

kieran.s gt

Member +
well, thats just for the parts alone from Toyota, altho the clutch is only £150. Ive managed to find a CV joint from Toby for about £60 or sumthing, and there are 2nd hand driveshafts on ebay for like £50ish

however i think this garage is taking the piss, but what il do is buy the parts myself and get them to fit it, do you think a 2nd hand driveshaft from egay would be ok?

heres one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-STARLE...225209261QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220225209261

I aint been in an accident, i know i hit a major pothole on someones drive, would that of done it?

driveshaft from ebay should be okay

Dont go near the same fecking garage to get the work done. I would be scared to here how much they charge for labour:mad:

Get a second opinion if you need a drive shaft or not. And if you hit a pothole I cant see how you could damage the shaft.

turbo-roj

Member +
Well, if the CV joint has gone and I can hear it clicking on full lock and slight lock, is it possible it might of knackered the teeth on the driveshaft?

Well, if the CV joint has gone and I can hear it clicking on full lock and slight lock, is it possible it might of knackered the teeth on the driveshaft?

nope.

i bet your driveshaft is 100% ok.

if the cv joint is gone then it will be clicking but wont effect the splines on the shaft at all.

kind of like bending a crow-bar in a bog!

i have never seen a drive shaft bend unless its been in an accident or something.

and your asking why would they say it needs one? well why would they be looking thie - Clutch £290, C.V. joint £236.75 and driveshaft £397!!!

garage of cowboys imo

but if you still want to go there to get your work done then fair enough

turbo-roj

Member +
well i know the guy who owns it quite well and ive always gone there, its the most respectable garage in town, he's always helped out if i cudnt pay him i.e. pay him off monthly etc and he used to be chairman of the place i work, i like him! however, i think the price for the clutch is reasonable. anyway, il be getting a 2nd opinion from another garage, who knows what he's doing and il let you lot know, il take it to him tomorrow if weather is nice coz id have to go into work on me motorbike

well i know the guy who owns it quite well and ive always gone there, its the most respectable garage in town, he's always helped out if i cudnt pay him i.e. pay him off monthly etc and he used to be chairman of the place i work, i like him! however, i think the price for the clutch is reasonable. anyway, il be getting a 2nd opinion from another garage, who knows what he's doing and il let you lot know, il take it to him tomorrow if weather is nice coz id have to go into work on me motorbike

Are you serious?? Mate these boys are a bunch of cowboys who are seriously overcharging you. Asyou have seen already you can get a CV Joint from Toby for ALOT cheaper. You could get a paddle clutch for the price they are charging for a stanard one.
As for driveshaft I agree with Mully, I live in the middle of the country and go over huge potholes and have never bent my driveshaft.

Just take the car to another garage and tell them you need your CV Joints and Clutch replaced. Dont mention the driveshaft and if it actually is fucked/bent then they should be able to see it and will tell you.
Christy

turbo-roj

Member +
Well i think i mentioned but if i didnt, £290 for the clutch is it fitted aswell. yeh im defo gonna take it to another garage for 2nd opinion and a quote then il get a quote off the cowboys for fitting only, the thing is, i wanted to use that garage so i could pay it off when i could. bloody annoying, im having to sell me motorbike (which ive only had since i past my test a month ago) and im gutted about that but if ya cant afford it i suppose ya gotta lose it and its defo gotta be the bike even tho its mega fast!