What wheels will fit my mk2 gt?

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Hi.

I wanted to put a set of standard mr2 wheels on my gt (like knightsy and abbott) had on there cars. I don't know why they don't fit my gt though as they've been fitted to both a Gt & Glanza before.

The centre bore on the car is too large for the wheels, so they won't go on fully.

Do the mk2's have a different size bore to other mks or is my car an odd example lol??

Going to pop out now and do some measuring.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Oh kool thanks mate.

Bit weird but I've just tried them on the back and they fit :S. Going to try on the front now but I swear last time they would'nt go on.

CMR

Member +
Some of the wheels may have the wrong size spigot rings on them.

Or some some reason you could have mk1 hubs on the front.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
The rings you've mentioned, it looks like they're are rings on the front but not the back (just uploading a pic). Are these something that have been put on to make the current wheels fit?

If so can I just pop them off and stick the other wheels on???

Sorry I'm not particularly mechanically minded.

CMR

Member +
Yeah they are spigot rings, they are used to reduce the centre bore if the wheel is from a car with a larger bore.

Just pop them out, BUT you may find they still dont fit (too big) in that case you will need to measure the wheels bore and double check yours is 54.1mm then buy some spigots from say 60 > 54.1mm.

Edit, if the back fit without spigots, the fronts should be ok without them too.

CMR

Member +
I cant see that picture as i'm not a paid member anymore, I'm sure someone else will confirm they are spigots dude.

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Yeah they are spigot rings, they are used to reduce the centre bore if the wheel is from a car with a larger bore.

Just pop them out, BUT you may find they still dont fit (too big) in that case you will need to measure the wheels bore and double check yours is 54.1mm then buy some spigots from say 60 > 54.1mm.

Edit, if the back fit without spigots, the fronts should be ok without them too.

Ok thanks dude! I'm going to restore the wheels before I do it, but did'nt see the point in doing so if they would'nt fit!

I'll leave some rep for your help, very much appreciated :beer:

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Because they came off an mr2, the tires are staggered (2x 185 and the others are either 195's or 205's can't remember without checking) ...Do you think this will upset the handling too much? I have 4x proxes on the wheels that are coming off but I'd like to use these tires if i can because they're almost new.

Being FWD if I can use them, do you think it would make sense to have the larger tires on the front?