whats do you think about this !!!

bridog

Member +
right ......

i warmed up the car and did a compression test on the car today and i got just below 130 across all for cylinders. i think that is too low , i was hopeing for a figure of about 150 ish .

so should i worry about that figure being so low ?

the other thing is that when im driving down the road after the engine has got hot , i get blue smoke out the back when on throttle and off throttle.

i thought thats the pistone rings had gone , but for all four to go , it seems a bit strange to me , then i thought about the valve seals

what do you recon ??

are all cylinders in the same figures? if so they must be fine but still a bit low in my opinion. Before i changed the hg on mine, were around 150psi across all 4, still not tested it afterwards to see the results!

350ep70gr

Member +
It is a bit on the low side mate since a new stock engine is around 180 mark.
It is a good thing (from a point of view) that all cylinders are the same so no need for imediate action like ringlands or so. Seems like it is wear in all cylinders or your head need opening and valves relaping/replace.Do you have smoke from pcv when hot or too much air come out?
It is a stock engine i assume and not opened or modifyed.
About smoke it is more like ring and not valve stem seals. Most of the time valve stem seals smokes when you hit the gas petal.

Chris

Last edited:
do u know if your engine has in forged low compression pistons and/or thicker gasket?
also, since its consistent across the board....it sounds ok....maybe its the guages you are using

the smoke could be a few things...valve stem seals and/or turbo....or something else

GTdan

In The Closet
was the engine warm when you did the check?? engine needs to be warm and up to temps, if cold you will get readings simialr to youyrs.

bridog

Member +
i have changed the turbo with a second hand one ( was told had no smoke issues )

my car has a air filter relocation kit , exhaust , uprated actuator , and a few other basic mods , i havent done anything to the fueling of the car tho.

i have taken the pcv valve out and cleaned it and put it back in ( seemed to be ok)

i only think its the valve seals becasue it can idle all day long with out anysmoke whatsoever , but as soon as you go about 5 miles down the road then blue smoke starts to appear !

as for the headgasket , i do know that the mechaninc who did it before i got the car used cheap motorfactor gasket sets :(

weeJohn

Lifer
right ......

i warmed up the car and did a compression test on the car today and i got just below 130 across all for cylinders. i think that is too low , i was hopeing for a figure of about 150 ish .

so should i worry about that figure being so low ?

the other thing is that when im driving down the road after the engine has got hot , i get blue smoke out the back when on throttle and off throttle.

i thought thats the pistone rings had gone , but for all four to go , it seems a bit strange to me , then i thought about the valve seals

what do you recon ??

I have to ask 2 questions, did you do the test with a wide open throttle, and did you try squirting a teaspoon full of oil into the cylinders and testing again?