What's the legal exhuast db limit on uk roads?

aidan

Member +
over here in ireland its 96Db i think at 3k rpm any ireland generally just copies the uk so could be the same so i think you would be way over

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Dam i have a WEPR Annihilator Exhaust which is probally one of the loudest systems out there and i dont get anything for it.

blitz nur spec r on custom straight through 3" pipe, de-cat, td04 external wastegate/screamer, nothing wrong with it just mega loud, think the baffles mite have gone in the backbox tho

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
i've been told different stories by different people within VOSA when i got pulled over years ago. the guy at the side of the road said it was down to the discretion of the officer and that the exhaust should not be significantly louder than the original one. i disputed that and took the car along to have it noise tested (again at VOSA) where they said it can't be louder than 90db from 1 metre away at a 45degree angle, mine was 94db and he failed it.

Arnold

Lifer
My last car failed its MOT instantly due to excessive noise, they quoted the same as above about it being louder than standard. My Glanza gets through though! (Blitz Nur Spec)

steve-gers

Member +
Police down my way measure the car with there tripod and compare them to a reading taken earlier (on a database) from a standard version of the same car. The readings have to be taken at 3k revs and must not be more than 10% louder than standard. Don't quote me on exact % but i'm sure its 10%.

steve-gers

Member +
No I don't think they do so that should hopefully put me in the clear although my exhaust isn't that loud its a 2.25 inch straight through system to a cobra sport backbox.

Kazi

Fresh Recruit
There is no legal limit at all. I got done by the cops at the start of the year and asked them about it. They could show me anywhere in the traffic law book that they carried about the legal limit. They were still going to do me for this and because I wasn't "being helpful" the slapped 3 points (which they can't do) on to the £60 fine. After seeing my lawyer and going on his advice I took the cops to court but before the date they dropped the case as they had no proof that there is a legal limit. The uk police go by an advised limit of 78 dbs I think. So if they do you for being over the "limit" then you know that they are talking out there arse. and if they give ya a fine without using the proper equipment then don't take it. They have no proof of your reading and can't really do anything.